Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Renew Lease...again and again  (Read 3123 times)

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    Renew Lease...again and again
    « on: October 21, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
    I am using an Apple Tablet. Almost every 15 minutes I am having to 'Renew Lease' to stay connected. In simple language, any ideas please?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Renew Lease...again and again
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:41:17 PM »
    Is this your network or a internet cafe or hotspot that offers just a complimentary 15 minute connection?

I've only seen this problem at an airport that had complimentary wifi that was free for 15 minutes and then in order to get another 15 minutes took some finagling. And they offer a better service at a cost that is uninterrupted and better bandwidth etc.

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
      Thanks for replying. It is my own network at home. No problems with the PC, just with the tablet, which is in another part of the house, and is running via an extender which, when I shut off and rebooted,  seemed to work but, after about an hour, it was back to normal, keeping on dropping the link until I renewed the lease. Peter.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
      Which extender are you using? Is this a wireless extender or one of those extenders that uses a home outlet as a means to send a network connection and then wireless to the outlet wifi?

Have you connected any other devices to this extended connection to rule out an issue with this setup vs the tablet itself?

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
      is the home PC connected via an ethernet cable?
      that may explain why that unit isn't affected?

sounds like a DHCP lease time setting on your modem/router for wireless connections.
      if it is almost 15 minutes exactly then look for something that says 900 seconds (15x60) as lease times are usually set in seconds.

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:59:52 AM »
        Hi to both of you. The extender is connected to the to the router and the router to the PC both by radio. No wires involved. The extender is a Netgear WN3000RP Universal FiFi extender. Pete.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
        What make/model router do you have?

Some devices have issues working as a pair, so just curious if your running into this issue with pairing of devices that might be 2 different brands and one of them with a loose protocol that is causing this. Years ago I had a Linksys Router and a Belkin repeater and ran into problems. I ended up having to get a Linksys repeater to pair with my router to solve this and then return the Belkin. Issue i had was if you did a persistent ping about every 15th pin would fail for 2 or 3 pings and so it would come and go cyclic. The handshake between the devices even with them side by side when troubleshooting if it was a distance issue kept doing this. A forum for Linksys spoke of pairing and some loose protocols that dont work quite well between off brand devices. This was 10 years ago and hopefully these pairing issues have been cleaned up with stricter standards, but knowing what you have for a router and the extender we can hunt down if there is an issue with the pairing.

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
          Othanks for your reply. The router is a BT 6. This problem has only happened in the last few days however, I have been trying all sorts of changes to the set up and it has been working without any problems all today. I contacted the necgear site and it did attempt to download an update so am hoping that this has rectified the problem.
          Thanks to all of you that replied and will keep my fingers crossed. Pete.