Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking setup so I can access my printer  (Read 2866 times)

Jreg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Networking setup so I can access my printer
    « on: October 22, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
    Hello all,

I am trying to setup my home network and I need some help figuring out how to do it so that I can access my wifi printer.

I currently have a Verizon 4G LTE mifi modem that is the source of the internet connection.
    I have a cable running from the mifi modem to a Fortinet Fortigate 60E firewall.
    From the firewall, I have a cable running to a Fortinet FortiSwitch 108D-POE.

Now, here is where things deviate, the switch has Ethernet connections to several computers and those ports are designated VLAN 100 (LAN) 10.1.100.x
    Another port feeds an ASUS RTAC88U wifi router which feeds the rest of the devices in the house. The port that feeds the wifi router is set to VLAN 200 (Wifi) 10.1.200.x

I have firewall policies allowing both VLAN 100 and 200 to WAN, and policies to allow 100 to 200, and 200 to 100 traffic.

I have a printer connected to the ASUS router via wifi.

I currently cannot access the printer.

So, I'm poking around and I notice that the ASUS Router has a WAN IP of 10.1.200.2 but issues IPs to connected clients on the 192.168.2.1 network. I suspect that is the reason that I cannot access the printer.

I'm assuming that the ASUS router needs to be configured in such a way as to issue correct IPs on the 10.1.200.x range?

What do I need to do in order to make things work?

Thanks in advance!

Jreg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Networking setup so I can access my printer
      « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:59:58 PM »
      [Update] managed to somewhat solve this. The ASUS router needed to be put into Access Point mode which seems to make it work more like I wanted.

Still have issues with getting the Canon Printer setup but I don't think it's strictly networking at this point...