Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Easy fix or out the money  (Read 13476 times)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Easy fix or out the money
    « on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
    I brought a refurbished computer and it was working fine until I went to turn it on just now. It would not come on at all. I thought maybe it was the plug I was using so changed it. Nothing. It was working fine monday night. Is there a way to fix this or am I out the money?
    I had an extra cable plug and I tried that one too no luck. there is no switch on the back of the computer

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Easy fix or out the money
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
    Please provide make, model and any information taht would identify the unit you bought.
    Also, Who sold it?
    If it was sold on eBay there are ways to make a claim within a limited time. You would start by contacting the Vendor via the eBay message system.

Some unites have a fuse in the power supply. Once in awhile this fuse will pop prematurely and all you ha veto do is replace it.

Do you live in an area with 120 volt or 240 volt?  Perhaps the 120/240 switch got moved. It there is one, it is on the back of the power supply, near the power receptacle.

Haas there been a lightning storm near you just before this? Sometimes a lighting  stoke may damage just one piece of equipment. Rather rare, but it happens.

Did you find the model number?

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
      HP Compaq 6300 Small factor form and it was newegg. When I contacted them they told me to chat wwith hp who told me it was not under warranty and that might be a faulty motherboard

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
        No lighting that I know of since Saturday and it was running just fine Monday night. there is no 120/240 switch on it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »
        OK. I  did not know what you had, so I was just guessing.
        The PC you got is worth about $125 on eBay.
        You could try the HP forum , but you mint get more help here. We have a good bunch here tact can give you hints.
        Unplug the power cord. Plug it in again and push the start button.
        Do any lights come on?
        Do you hear fans?
        Do any lights on the keyboard flash?

You can get a used motherboard for about $50, but don't do that until you try a few things. Open up the case and see if anything came loose. Like maybe a RAN chip. Rare but it happens and it is easy to check.
        The things is to check first the things that are easy to check, but seldom happen. You don't want to spend money and find out it was something else..
        Other things easy to check.
        Disconnect the power and data to the DVD drive. Maybe  the DVD drive failed.
        Same with the Hard Drive. The system can power on without the hard drive and should show some kind of error message on the display.
        Again,  even without the RAM present, the system can flash keyboard lights and make beeps. Wroth a try just to see.

Some vendors on eBay will sell the whole  box for about the price of the motherboard itself. If it were me, I would buy the the box.  unless I was really sure it is just the motherboard and not the power supply

Here is a document for that model.

www.manualslib.com... Hp Pro6300 Service Manual

Take care when trying to  download manuals. You do not have to buy anything and some sites that offer manuals are scams. The link above is alright, but they try to make it hard and get  your to download  something else.
        Hope this is of some help to you.  :)

The moderator might move this to hardware.
        EDIT: The model you have might include options that can make it hard to service. There is a optional special feature to make it hard for somebody to steal you r PC or to use it without your authority. Read over the manual.
        « Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:02:53 AM by Geek-9pm »

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
        on the assumption the rig has just been shipped to you, PC's after being moved could have components dislodged, dust relocated etc.

i would take off the cover and remove, clean with a brush (especially wipe the contact pins) on the video card (if it has an add-on one) and the RAM chips, and reseat them.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 02:45:56 AM »
        Please share link on the newegg item you purchased. I have yet to see one that doesnt have a warranty for their refurbs. Usually the reburb warranties are handled not by HP but another identity that is reconditioning them. Maybe the person at newegg thought it was a new computer which would be handled by HP if that were the case, but if you specify its a refurb maybe the person will realize that HP isnt involved with the warranty. My guess here is that the person who contacted you assumed it was new vs a refurb in which then it would be with HP which they would be correct, but a refurb I have yet to see any that are handled by the manufacturer of the computer and all are sold with a warranty of some kind varying from 30 days to 1 year for refurbs. The last refurb that I needed to send back was a laptop that had an issue with the touch pad and I was given a contact to a company that sold the computer thru them based out of Tennessee. After contact with them they shipped me a replacement and when it arrived the UPS guy stood there while I took the replacement and put the troubled one back in the box with the shipping label they provided to send it back in. No problems and easy replacement. Only thing with that replacement was that they had to hit my credit card for the second computer, and then I was credited back when they received the problem laptop. This was this way because I wanted an immediate replacement and didnt want to ship out a laptop and not have one while waiting. Otherwise computer shipped back and a replacement is sent back upon receipt of the troubled one which they told me 7 to 10 days and I didnt want to wait that long and knew if there was an issue my credit card company would fix the matter of a double charge etc.  :-\

Newegg while I trust them, has been going through some changes in how they have drop ships vs stocking in house etc and are transforming into an amazon type of model where they try to sell everything. Its possible that the person who was in contact with you made a mistake on the warranty holder for that refurb.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:06 AM »
          There are no lights or fans at all. I didn't buy from ebay. I have had the computer for about a week working fine

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
          Where did you buy it from ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
            Newegg and I have already talked to the. Was told to talk to HP who said it was not under warranty. Talked to Newegg again and they want me release some information to someone else. Which could took 5 days to hear from them. And I am just want to get my documents off of it

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
            You're answers are unclear...Newegg warranties refurb PC's they sell...

If all you need is your documents then pull the HDD and move it to a working PC and save what you need...
            An external HDD caddy works very well for this.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
              This is the only pc I have. So I lose everything. Newegg said I had to release information to them. This is what the email said "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with your product or the manufacturer of your product.  In order to assist you in obtaining manufacturer warranty service, we need your permission to release your contact information to the product manufacturer." Which I already know there is no HP warranty on it

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »
              Just sharing newegg's warranty policy:

https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1770#4

I looked up another HP Desktop also SFF and it said a 90 day warranty, but warranty terms vary between models offered. I'd be interested in looking into which one you purchased to see whats listed for warranty terms and contact info.

Here is the one I looked up for warranty info which may vary from yours: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883287634&ignorebbr=1

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
                Already contacted  Newegg and that is the email they sent me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
                You say you got a HP 6300 from Newegg.
                You say you had it for a week.
                Here is a link to Newegg:
                https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=hp%206300%20pro%20small&Submit=ENE
                Her is photo:

Newegg has warranty on items sold as refurbished, NOT HP.