Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Easy fix or out the money  (Read 13472 times)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Easy fix or out the money
    « on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
    I brought a refurbished computer and it was working fine until I went to turn it on just now. It would not come on at all. I thought maybe it was the plug I was using so changed it. Nothing. It was working fine monday night. Is there a way to fix this or am I out the money?
    I had an extra cable plug and I tried that one too no luck. there is no switch on the back of the computer

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Easy fix or out the money
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
    Please provide make, model and any information taht would identify the unit you bought.
    Also, Who sold it?
    If it was sold on eBay there are ways to make a claim within a limited time. You would start by contacting the Vendor via the eBay message system.

Some unites have a fuse in the power supply. Once in awhile this fuse will pop prematurely and all you ha veto do is replace it.

Do you live in an area with 120 volt or 240 volt?  Perhaps the 120/240 switch got moved. It there is one, it is on the back of the power supply, near the power receptacle.

Haas there been a lightning storm near you just before this? Sometimes a lighting  stoke may damage just one piece of equipment. Rather rare, but it happens.

Did you find the model number?

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
      HP Compaq 6300 Small factor form and it was newegg. When I contacted them they told me to chat wwith hp who told me it was not under warranty and that might be a faulty motherboard

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
        No lighting that I know of since Saturday and it was running just fine Monday night. there is no 120/240 switch on it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »
        OK. I  did not know what you had, so I was just guessing.
        The PC you got is worth about $125 on eBay.
        You could try the HP forum , but you mint get more help here. We have a good bunch here tact can give you hints.
        Unplug the power cord. Plug it in again and push the start button.
        Do any lights come on?
        Do you hear fans?
        Do any lights on the keyboard flash?

You can get a used motherboard for about $50, but don't do that until you try a few things. Open up the case and see if anything came loose. Like maybe a RAN chip. Rare but it happens and it is easy to check.
        The things is to check first the things that are easy to check, but seldom happen. You don't want to spend money and find out it was something else..
        Other things easy to check.
        Disconnect the power and data to the DVD drive. Maybe  the DVD drive failed.
        Same with the Hard Drive. The system can power on without the hard drive and should show some kind of error message on the display.
        Again,  even without the RAM present, the system can flash keyboard lights and make beeps. Wroth a try just to see.

Some vendors on eBay will sell the whole  box for about the price of the motherboard itself. If it were me, I would buy the the box.  unless I was really sure it is just the motherboard and not the power supply

Here is a document for that model.

www.manualslib.com... Hp Pro6300 Service Manual

Take care when trying to  download manuals. You do not have to buy anything and some sites that offer manuals are scams. The link above is alright, but they try to make it hard and get  your to download  something else.
        Hope this is of some help to you.  :)

The moderator might move this to hardware.
        EDIT: The model you have might include options that can make it hard to service. There is a optional special feature to make it hard for somebody to steal you r PC or to use it without your authority. Read over the manual.
        « Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:02:53 AM by Geek-9pm »

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
        on the assumption the rig has just been shipped to you, PC's after being moved could have components dislodged, dust relocated etc.

i would take off the cover and remove, clean with a brush (especially wipe the contact pins) on the video card (if it has an add-on one) and the RAM chips, and reseat them.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 02:45:56 AM »
        Please share link on the newegg item you purchased. I have yet to see one that doesnt have a warranty for their refurbs. Usually the reburb warranties are handled not by HP but another identity that is reconditioning them. Maybe the person at newegg thought it was a new computer which would be handled by HP if that were the case, but if you specify its a refurb maybe the person will realize that HP isnt involved with the warranty. My guess here is that the person who contacted you assumed it was new vs a refurb in which then it would be with HP which they would be correct, but a refurb I have yet to see any that are handled by the manufacturer of the computer and all are sold with a warranty of some kind varying from 30 days to 1 year for refurbs. The last refurb that I needed to send back was a laptop that had an issue with the touch pad and I was given a contact to a company that sold the computer thru them based out of Tennessee. After contact with them they shipped me a replacement and when it arrived the UPS guy stood there while I took the replacement and put the troubled one back in the box with the shipping label they provided to send it back in. No problems and easy replacement. Only thing with that replacement was that they had to hit my credit card for the second computer, and then I was credited back when they received the problem laptop. This was this way because I wanted an immediate replacement and didnt want to ship out a laptop and not have one while waiting. Otherwise computer shipped back and a replacement is sent back upon receipt of the troubled one which they told me 7 to 10 days and I didnt want to wait that long and knew if there was an issue my credit card company would fix the matter of a double charge etc.  :-\

Newegg while I trust them, has been going through some changes in how they have drop ships vs stocking in house etc and are transforming into an amazon type of model where they try to sell everything. Its possible that the person who was in contact with you made a mistake on the warranty holder for that refurb.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:06 AM »
          There are no lights or fans at all. I didn't buy from ebay. I have had the computer for about a week working fine

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
          Where did you buy it from ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
            Newegg and I have already talked to the. Was told to talk to HP who said it was not under warranty. Talked to Newegg again and they want me release some information to someone else. Which could took 5 days to hear from them. And I am just want to get my documents off of it

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
            You're answers are unclear...Newegg warranties refurb PC's they sell...

If all you need is your documents then pull the HDD and move it to a working PC and save what you need...
            An external HDD caddy works very well for this.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
              This is the only pc I have. So I lose everything. Newegg said I had to release information to them. This is what the email said "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with your product or the manufacturer of your product.  In order to assist you in obtaining manufacturer warranty service, we need your permission to release your contact information to the product manufacturer." Which I already know there is no HP warranty on it

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »
              Just sharing newegg's warranty policy:

https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1770#4

I looked up another HP Desktop also SFF and it said a 90 day warranty, but warranty terms vary between models offered. I'd be interested in looking into which one you purchased to see whats listed for warranty terms and contact info.

Here is the one I looked up for warranty info which may vary from yours: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883287634&ignorebbr=1

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
                Already contacted  Newegg and that is the email they sent me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
                You say you got a HP 6300 from Newegg.
                You say you had it for a week.
                Here is a link to Newegg:
                https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=hp%206300%20pro%20small&Submit=ENE
                Her is photo:

Newegg has warranty on items sold as refurbished, NOT HP.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
                Without detailed information, we have to guess.
                Below is a quite for the Newegg site, If you bought from thme ony a week ago, this would apply to you.

Return or Replacement Policy: If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 30 days of receipt for a refund or, for a replacement within 30 days.

We include a standard 1 Year mail-in Warranty (Parts and Labor)

Warranty does not cover any software issues, viruses/Malware infections and unauthorized repairs/upgrades. Swapping internal components without prior approval by our company will void the warranty.
                We strive to bring you the best experience possible with our store and our products. If you experience any difficulties, please feel free to contact our customer service department.

RMA numbers will be issued once the item is claimed for warranty. Please contact us regarding any concerns that you may have. All returns must include all original items undamaged, in original condition, with original packaging. Shipping and handling fees are non-refundable.
                Return Instruction

1. Log onto your Newegg.com account and find your order in order history, click on 'Request RMA from Seller' Button next to the order information.
                2. On 'Compose Message Page', verify the order number you want to request return on the top of the page, choose 'RMA Inquiry' from the drop down menu, provide the item# (you can find on your order invoice e-mail) and the reason you want to return, and indicate you want to return for replacement or refund before click 'send message' button.
                3. Once our Customer Service Representatives receive your inquiry, it will take us 24 - 48 hours to respond to your inquiry.
                4. Once our Customer Service has verified your order information and approved for you to send the merchandise back to us, you will be provided with Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number for your return through e-mail. The e-mail contains RMA number, RMA details and important return shipping instruction. Read the instruction carefully before you ship your return merchandise back to us.
                5. We strongly recommend you return your item in the same or similar packaging as they were delivered to you with all the original parts, accessories and menu/documentation included (any missing parts or accessories may result your return being rejected or your refund/replacement being delayed). Re-using the package your item came in is acceptable, as long as the packaging is in good condition and all previous addresses, tracking information and labels are removed.
                The company is called Micomp.
                Here is a link to the Micomp Seller Profile
                https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5965581396&cm_re=hp_6300_pro_small-_-9SIA5965581396-_-Product

Follow the instructions given by Newegg and Microcomp.
                Here is a phone number:
                Support Phone: 866-487-3290

That should help you get the right people.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
                  Newegg told me to contact HP first just did what they told me to do.

Mark.

Adviser
                  • Forum Regular
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
                  so what happens when you turn it on?
                  any lights, noises, or beeps at all?

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
                    nothing happens at all do i need to record what happens so people will understand

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
                    Return it under warranty.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
                      there is no warranty

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                      • Geek After Dark
                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                      « Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »
                      there is no warranty

Since you seem to be giving up without following thru i am going to do the same...

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
                        I CONTACTED NEWEGG LIKE I WAS TOLD THEY TOLD ME TO CONTACT HP WHAT MORE AM I TO EFFING DO

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
                        Newegg carries the warranty...90 days...its on your reciept and they are giving you the runaround...the clock is ticking which is what they want...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                        • Geek After Dark
                          • Gekk9pm bnlog
                        « Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
                        I CONTACTED NEWEGG LIKE I WAS TOLD THEY TOLD ME TO CONTACT HP WHAT MORE AM I TO EFFING DO
                        That contradicts information on the Newegg site.
                        HP does NOT refurbish and distribute their own stuff using Newegg.
                        Newegg gets refurbished HP stuff from a company allled

Micomp.

Contact them. 
                        The do have a warranty.
                        They will want to know when you bought it.

If you bought it, it has a warranty.

Did you steal it?   ::)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
                          I was told there was not one. even if there is one Icannno t afford to ship it back so it will not matter anyways hard to steal from Newegg.] May I please have this topic locked since no one wants to read what I say

Mark.

Adviser
                          • Forum Regular
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 11:32:35 PM »
                          OK, no worries, so the refund avenue may not be doable.

how about getting the unit to start, did you remove the memory and video card (if there is one), clean them and put back and seen if that helps?
                          with the cover off the PC, when you turn it on, are there any LED's on the motherboard that come on?

DaveLembke

Sage
                          « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
                          Just curious... could you please link the actual product you purchased through them. I would like to see what exact product your having troubles with.

I have been buying through newegg for years and can still look up products I bought through them many years later even after discontinued.

For example I bought this motherboard/CPU combo for $72 on 4/17/2010 and am still running it but with a better Athlon II x4 620 quadcore vs the Sempron X2 2200 that came with it. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138178

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 07:17:19 AM »
                            OK, no worries, so the refund avenue may not be doable.

how about getting the unit to start, did you remove the memory and video card (if there is one), clean them and put back and seen if that helps?
                            with the cover off the PC, when you turn it on, are there any LED's on the motherboard that come on?

It will not start at all

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

patio

• Genius
                              • Maud' Dib
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
                              90 Day Warranty from Newegg as i said...the clock is ticking.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
                                No one reads do they I already contacted Newegg they told me contact hp

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 08:07:11 AM »
                                No one reads do they I already contacted Newegg they told me contact hp

Speaking of reading::

Replacement Only Return Policy

Return for refund within: non-refundable

Return for replacement within: 30 days

Return shipping labels are free for replacement returns of the same item within the return policy period and can be obtained while creating your return online. You can create your return online here.

You can learn more about our return process and guidelines in the Overall Return Guidelines and Additional Return Information sections of this page.

This is our Replacement Only Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (those products for which Newegg states "This item may be returned for a replacement within 30 days only") must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item. If the original item is no longer available, a refund in the amount of the price originally paid will be issued. Products subject to this policy cannot be returned for a refund.

NOTE:...It includes shipping labels...better hurry up this is within the 1st 30 of the 90 days...

strollin

Adviser
                                  • Yes
                                • Experience: Guru
                                « Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
                                According to the link you provided, there is a 90-day warranty via HP.  However, there is also a 30 day return for replacement warranty.  If I were in your shoes, I would find a friend with a computer, remove the HDD from the dead HP, ask your friend to get your documents off the drive, then send the unti back to Newegg for a replacement.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
                                The 1st 90 Days is on Newegg...

If the product qualifies then it becomes an HP issue after that...

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
                                  I do not have a friend. And I HAVE ALREADY CONTRACT  NEWEGG ABOUT THIS AND GOT THIS EMAIL We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with your product or the manufacturer of your product.  In order to assist you in obtaining manufacturer warranty service, we need your permission to release your contact information to the product manufacturer.  I HAVE CONTRACTED THE WITH NO REPLY

patio

• Genius
                                  • Maud' Dib
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
                                  You still dont listen...you need to Call...not e-mail Newegg as you are covered for 90 days per their warranty...if you are still within 30 Days...which i doubt you are eligible to return it for a free replacement with Free return shipping...

You seem frustrated and taking it out on others...you should in fact be taking it out on Newegg.

I read the warranty on the PC you bought and they are liable for 90 days...forget the HP garbage they told you and get busy doin this...
                                  Otherwise yes you lose everything...

There ...now i am done.

Best of Luck.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
                                    i did call and was told there is nothing they can do right now that Ihave to wait it out.

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »
                                    BullPucky...i have never had Newegg say that to me in all the years i have been dealing with them.

You're on your own now...i've advised all i can.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                    • Geek After Dark
                                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                    « Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »
                                    Many people have carefully read over your posts.
                                    The general consensus is that you have been given misleading or incorrect information.
                                    From the link that you have given, members of this forum can see that there is warranty information available from of that link. By following that link you find the exact information you need about how to make a warranty claim on the product you purchased.
                                    Nobody at new egg or anywhere else can deny you the right to your warranty. Nor do you need to give out information to any other party. The warranty information will tell you how to contact the company directly responsible for taking care of your warranty. They have an 800 number that you can call and they also have an e-mail address that you can use. The phone number and address are not the same as new egg and it has nothing to do with Hewlett-Packard.
                                    Your product was refurbished and is guaranteed by another company, as I have mentioned in an earlier post. I have read your post very carefully. Did you read mine? There is a company that is responsible for your warranty. You have to contact them if you do not get good information from new egg.
                                    In other words, you have to contact the right people.
                                    Did you try that 800-number?
                                    Here's a screenshot of the link you gave and I have placed a purple arrow to indicate where the warranty information is found. It is a link that takes you to another place and explains the details about the warranty. That item really does have a warranty and you need to exercise it within the 90 day period.

THE WARRANTY INFORMATION IS THERE!   ;)  ;)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »
                                      HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT I ALREADY CALLED NEWEGG ABOUT IT THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT AS THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO WITHOUT PERMISSION

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                      • Geek After Dark
                                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                      « Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
                                      HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT I ALREADY CALLED NEWEGG ABOUT IT THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT AS THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO WITHOUT PERMISSION
                                      They gave you false or wrong  information.
                                      How many times shall I tell you to can the right people.
                                      Call the people that did the refurbish.
                                      I gave you the number earlier.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
                                         CCALLLED NEWEGG THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD PLEASE STOP REPLYING THIS TOPIC IS SALVED

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                        • Geek After Dark
                                          • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                        « Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
                                        Either you or Newegg is not telling the truth.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
                                          I am telling you what newegg told/sent me but I must be lying

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                            • Yes
                                            • Yes
                                            • BC-Programming.com
                                          « Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
                                          If you want to get your money back you have to do more than send a few E-mails or make one or two phone calls.

If you want to fix the system we need to know more than "It will not start at all" And you need to follow suggestions regarding that.

If you want to wallow in your own defeatist attitude, well, you didn't need a thread for that.
                                          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
                                            I cannot get my money back for it

Mark.

Adviser
                                            • Forum Regular
                                              • Yes
                                            « Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
                                            It will not start at all

have you tired what I suggested....

take out the memory, clean it, put it back.
                                            if there is a video card, do the same.

while you have the cover off, try turning it on, is there any movement from the fans, any LED that comes on/flashes?

we are all here just trying to help.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
                                              I decided to throw it away as I am to stupid to know how to fix so it is gone this topic has been solved.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »

have you tired what I suggested....

take out the memory, clean it, put it back.
                                                if there is a video card, do the same.

while you have the cover off, try turning it on, is there any movement from the fans, any LED that comes on/flashes?

we are all here just trying to help.

Do not know how to do the memory or what they even are. don't know about video cards. And why take the cover off to prove that it does not start. THERE IS NOTHING WHEN I PUSH THE POWER BUTTON

patio

• Genius
                                                • Maud' Dib
                                                  • Yes
                                                « Reply #51 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »
                                                Nomination for the most Fun Post of the Year...

You threw it out...correct ? ?

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
                                                  Topic solved was not working so yes I throw it away what is the point of having a broken pos laying around

patio

• Genius
                                                  • Maud' Dib
                                                    • Yes
                                                  « Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
                                                  Congratulations...great move after all this drama.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
                                                    I lied but it goes to show you will not give up even when topic says solved you still go after someone.

Mark.

Adviser
                                                    • Forum Regular
                                                      • Yes
                                                    « Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 12:53:54 AM »
                                                    well, I must say that is rather short-sighted.
                                                    you've just made a bad situation worse.
                                                    Newegg has side-stepped their legal obligations and you have thrown out what may have been an easy, cheap (maybe even free) fix.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
                                                      THE TOPIC IS SOLVED PLEASE STORAGE REPLYING I DO NOT GIVE A *censored* ANYMORE I AM OVER IT

patio

• Genius
                                                      • Maud' Dib
                                                        • Yes
                                                      « Reply #57 on: October 28, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
                                                      Ummm...that was a SPAM post...i removed it.

patio

• Genius
                                                      • Maud' Dib
                                                        • Yes
                                                      « Reply #58 on: October 28, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
                                                      Topic Closed upon request.

patio.