Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Links give weird message  (Read 7046 times)

02bin3

Links give weird message
« on: November 11, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
Windows 7 Pro, 64 - Firefox   I can't say initially when this problem started, but there are some mostly news links that I will click on and all I will get is a black screen with 1 tiny, white, dot in the center and the message:  f(PNG Image, 1x1 pixels).  It won't bring up either the article or the picture that may go with it.  Is there some sort of tweaking I have to do with my browser to fix this?  Thanks for reading this..............

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Links give weird message
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »
Looks like a common tracking pixel. Used to see that you were there at a specific page etc. Although usually its a gif to be hidden. More info at link below. I am guessing its just 1 website that has this issue? Have you tested this website with Internet Explorer to see if it has same problem? Do you have any adblockers or content blockers enabled? Does it display properly on another computer or smart device.

Maybe the webmaster for that page goofed and made a name with a .png instead of .gif for that 1x1 pixel. The .png might not exist ( server side ) and thats why you see the error message for .png which if it was coded in html as .gif would would never have known they were tracking who was accessing their website because .gif for that 1x1 pixel may exist.  ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_beacon

02bin3

Re: Links give weird message
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
Thank you for your information, and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but the download I did for the newest FireFox seems to have taken care of the problem.  It did work when I went through Internet Explorer, at your suggestion, but not FireFox.  Problem is resolved with Firefox's update.