Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: looking for advice on new pc  (Read 10655 times)

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    looking for advice on new pc
    « on: October 09, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »
    I am looking for a new computer and all I can afford is refurished ones right now so I am looking for advice on the two I have been looking at. I am going to use them to play games(wizard101 and some minecraft) and to watch live streaming videos. My first one I have in mind is https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-6305-SFF-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-A4-5300B-Processor-8GB-Memory-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Pro-Monitor-Not-Included/49333480 . the second one is https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-8000-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Included/51872323. I would also like to know what would be a good extrenal harddrive case for a SATA 3.5 harddrive. I plan on keeping the harddrive in the case

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: looking for advice on new pc
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:30:21 AM »
    To be honest, both of those are completely overpriced for what they are, each of these machines looks to be worth around $100 if not less.  I'd suggest looking for refurbished ones in places other than Walmart, even for under $200 you should still be able to pick up something with an i3 or i5 relatively easily.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »
      those are the only ones Ican find that Ican afford

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
      I prefer Newegg for my refurb needs.... Here is an example of a decent system for your needs at a savings.

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Micro Tower Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz E7500 - 4GB RAM - 160GB Hard Drive - DVD RW - Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5YV5D21834

You can always add a larger hard drive later as well as bring this to 8GB RAM later if needed but with those games it would be plenty. You might want to add a cheapie intro level video card vs running off the integrated video though.

A cheapie video card like this one would be ok for the games your playing and way better than integrated video
      ASUS EAH6450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADFR6BX8637

According to Crucial it states it can handle 16GB RAM, I am thinking 8GB as for soemtimes they get the 2 slots vs 4 slots messed up and so its 4GB per slot. I have a motherboard that they state takes up to 8GB RAM at 2GB per slot, but I only have 2 slots so its maxed out at 4GB.

Your HP - Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower
      system specs as shipped
      memory

Maximum Memory:16GB
          Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Final Price Tag = $134.98 for Computer above and the video card

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »
        I do not know how to change out video cards

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
        The games you mention do not require a special video card.
        The stock video system on ow-cost PCs is very good and will give you a lot of pleasure. High price videos cards are seldom worth the extra money. They all do the same thing.

IMO, you would do better to spend your money are some newer games that work great with standard graphics cards.

You can add a new card later on.

This idea that great games need great hardware  is a myth. The new PCs have built-in graphics that are very good.
        Here is just one of many articles about this myth:
        https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/great-games-that-dont-need-great-hardware-to-run.56976/
        It is a long list of games  for plain video cards.

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »
        although I always encourage users to 'get their hands dirty' with learning new PC skills, you have to know your own limits.
        that in itself is a skill.

if you don't have a go, you'll never learn something new.
        but keep in mind when it's time to bring in the professionals.

a few dollars here and there could get the current PC working, or a video card installed, or expert advice on a new or used PC.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »
        You can definitely get better than an outdated Core 2 Duo for cheaper than those Walmart ones.  For example, you can get this from Newegg which is a pretty high end workstation from around 2011 to 2012 with an i5 CPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883287588&ignorebbr=1

The onboard graphics, while aren't great, are better than anything you'd get in those Core 2 Duo machines and should be capable at running basic games at a playable leve. Given that this is a proper workstation, it would be able to take an additional video card as an upgrade in the future (they aren't hard to fit yourself but it also wouldn't be too expensive to take it in somewhere and have one istalled).

My main concern here is the price of the Walmart ones, if you get those you are being ripped off.  A Core 2 Duo machine like that costs well under $50 if you buy in bulk from ex-corporate recyclers.  All they then do is install Windows 10 (which they can get for around $30 as a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher) then max out the RAM and install a large hard drive to make the specs look impressive.  The Newegg ones are significantly better value.

bellow

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
          I am going for a place I can take back to a store if I have issue with the thing as I cannot afford to ship one back and then repay to get a new one if something is messed up with the thing

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »
          I am going for a place [where] I can take back to a store if I have issue with the thing as I cannot afford to ship one back and then repay to get a new one if something is messed up with the thing
          A wise rule.