Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accuracy of phone PID in registry?  (Read 3571 times)

mmich23

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Accuracy of phone PID in registry?
    « on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
    Thank you for an excellent place for information. I've been trying to identify a specific Samsung phone model that was connected to my laptop via USB. The VID is clear, Samsung, and some sources indicate the PID is an s3 or s5, but I read in another old post at Stephen J. Gowdy that the PID numbers 6860 and 6866 are more generic for any Samsung phone.  Here is what I see under Devices in my Windows 10 registry:

USB#VID_04e8&PID_6860#xxxxxxxx
    USB#VID_04e8&PID_6860&MI_00#6&2DOBxxxx&0&0000
    USB#VID_04e8&PID_6866&MI_00#6&310Axxxx&0&0000

Do the 6860 and 6866 PIDs actually indicate a specific phone model was connected to my pc? Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Accuracy of phone PID in registry?
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
    It's not really useful in that way. The PID is used for the most part to associate a device with the appropriate driver software.

by way of example, The Nexus 4, 5, and 6 as well as the Nexus 6P all have an identical vendor and product ID of 0x18D1 and 0x4EE6.

As a side note, instead of digging in the registry, I'd suggest using a tool like USBDeView to view that information. (It get's it from the same location, I expect). You might be able to get something more unique, For example my Nexus 6 is listed as a Nexus 6 specifically as the description.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mmich23

Topic Starter

Re: Accuracy of phone PID in registry?
      « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
      Thank you, BC_Programmer. I did try USBDeview and was hoping the reg info would be of some additional help. USBDeview shows the same device various ways. One gives a model, SM-S120VL with a Device Type of Unknown. Another Description says ADB Device with the Device Type as Vendor Specific,  another Description calls it a USB Serial Device with a Description of Communication and, finally, the same device has a Description of USB Composite Device, with an Unknown Device Type.  I guess one phone can be all of those things at once, but it occurred to me that maybe this is something other than an S120VL. I know nothing about ADB, but is that a typical USBDeview output when a phone is plugged in to transfer photos? Thanks very much for your help.