Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to upgrade my PC to play games but know littile about PC componets.  (Read 2339 times)

Dark Specter

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I am a gamer I don't really know a lot about computers so all of the system specs I put are from the System information screen I also don't understand half of the information but anyway my questions are: I have an    AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 2100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) and want to upgrade it to either an i5 or i7 Intel core processor are the i5 and i7 better than what I have?

I want to upgrade my graphics card from what i have which is Name   AMD Radeon (TM) R9 360 (I think I typed "graphics" into the search and this is what appeared) to a super clocked EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR I'm assuming this is better than what i have.

i do not know what type of motherboard I have (unless the BaseBoard thing on here is it: BaseBoard Manufacturer:   Dell Inc. BaseBoard Model:   Not Available BaseBoard Name:   Base Board still no very helpful to me.)
     or how to find out. i have a Dell Inspiron 3656 if that helps if not let me know how to find out what motherboard I have and I will

if any needed information is missing tell me what it is and where to look to get it and ill add it.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: trying to upgrade my PC to play games but know littile about PC componets.
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
    The processor you have is pretty good, unless you wanna pay 300 dollars for a better one, and yes that graphics card is better than what you have. If you could try and find out how much RAM your PC has then you could upgrade that, but you would need to figure out what type of RAM your PC takes. I hope this helps!
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
    1st off if you are looking to move to an i5 or i7 you cannot use your existing MBoard...
    2nd Dell's are notorious for having just enuff power for as built so you would be lookin at a new PSU as well..

It may be wise to start considering a new build rather than upgrading an existing Dell.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
    I agree with Patio on the fact that you might want to build a new system fresh vs upgrading this one. The Motherboard you have currently has a AMD FX-8800P which is a Mobile CPU with a maximum TDP of 35 watts. https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-FX-8800P-Notebook-Processor-Specifications-and-Benchmarks.144074.0.html

If your tight on money you could get a refurbished (used) Core i5 or Core i7 and go that route. I'd check with us here before you make a purchase if going this direction as for there are many generations of i5 and i7's and some used computers out there can be misleading where they hide the fact that its early i5 or i7s in hopes to snag someone thinking its the latest generation etc. If your just looking at i5 or i7 and how many Mhz or Ghz it is you can get bit by paying too much if you don't verify the actual CPU that's in it for Intel Builds.