Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my Pc wont turn on  (Read 2086 times)

mike12350

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    my Pc wont turn on
    « on: November 17, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
    Hi i just resently bought new pc parts for my pc and cant seem to get it to turn on for more than 3 seconds. I have tried lots of diffrent things but the only time i had any luck was when i started the pc with the stock intel cpu cooler not completely attached to the motherboard but, as soon as i fully atached the cooler, the pc shut itself off again. It seems to me like there is some kind of shortage when all 4 clipps of the cpu cooler are attached but i cant seem to find where this shortage is directly coming from. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? if you need more information just ask

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: my Pc wont turn on
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
    the only time i had any luck was when i started the pc with the stock intel cpu cooler not completely attached to the motherboard but, as soon as i fully atached the cooler, the pc shut itself off again.

Curious how you got to this point in the troubleshooting. Most people wouldnt boot a system with heatsink off and then reattach it on the fly.

Instead of a shorting issue it could be that the pressure from clamping pressure on the CPU is making for a break in connection between CPU and motherboard etc.

What are all the parts of your build:

Motherboard Make/Model
    CPU
    Heatsink make/model

And what other parts were swapped during this upgrade or was it just CPU and Heatsink?

PickYourPoison

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
      perhaps its an issue with the Power Supply?

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
        I would check the memory is in the sockets correctly. If it is DDR4 memory and the sockets are the type with a clip at only 1 end then you can check the fixed clip is holding the memory by gently pulling up on that end. With the power off  ;D. If the memory comes out it isn't clipped in fully. I would insert the fixed end in first and then seat the clip end. Give the memory at the fixed end a gentle pull to make sure it is holding.