Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony SRS-150 Speakers bought  (Read 5444 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Sony SRS-150 Speakers bought
    « on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
    I just spent a fair amount of money on a pair of Sony SRS-150 speakers in great condition, aside from minor wear to the cases.  Planning on using these when I hook up my most powerful computer in the basement on Fridays when the guys come over.  Do you know if the Sony SRS-150 speakers can be used with a computer reliably?  The amount of power each speaker can handle is 20W nominally.

The speakers look like this:
    https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/5/7/vintage-1980s-sony-srs-150-powered-speaker-system-w-square-drivers-great-look-3dc2f423c4e1b595de4fcd8bdedbed46.jpg

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sony SRS-150 Speakers bought
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
    Use a stereo with an auxiliary input and drive the speakers from the stereo. The small amp in the computer wont like those speakers and you could kill soundcard as well as it might not be very loud until the secret smoke is let out then no sound. A headset is about all you can drive directly from a PC anymore without an amplifier to drive the speakers.

Just need an amp or stereo with aux input and connect line out to aux input. Then make sure volume is low and test. Raise volume to level you like from their or have Windows chime blow the windows out of home if set to max volume on boot..  ;D

I have a 80 watt Roland Amp for my electric guitar that has an aux input and that is LOUD. I made the mistake of forgetting my volume on my PC was set to 100 for headset and  wow that woke me up fast when the computer made a sound. My amp takes the aux input and sends it out at 100% so the PC has to be used to regulate the volume. The volume knob on the amp only controls the guitar that its driving the sound from. It has a direct input to 100% of 80 watts of speaker. Just about jumped out of my skin when so unexpected! :o

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »
    Use a stereo with an auxiliary input and drive the speakers from the stereo. The small amp in the computer wont like those speakers
    These are powered speakers (they have an amplifier with a 3.5mm mini jack input). This could be fed from a low level PC soundcard output.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
      The Sony speakers seem to be Active speakers. They have the amp built in.
      Did they come with a  12 volt adapter ?
      If you have the 12 volt adapter all you will need is a stereo headphone cable with  a head phone plug on either end.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
      isn't that what Salmon just said???

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
          How would these compare to the Harmon Kardon HK206 speaker set, by the way?  I wonder which one would be more powerful sounding at the same volume.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
            « Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
            You  just need the speaker wire to connect the speakers together. the power supply and input lead is built in.
            Sorry for my advice which was wrong

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 04:04:08 PM »
              They come with the speaker wire.  In the image it's shown in front of the power cord, but harder to see.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
              isn't that what Salmon just said???
              More or less, except that I mentioned 3.5 mm jacks, and not "headphone" jacks which are usually 6.35mm (1/4 inch)