Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epistory - Typing Chronicles - Bought off of steam on sale  (Read 4834 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Epistory - Typing Chronicles - Bought off of steam on sale
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
Interesting game I picked up today to add to my steam game collection of now 190 games. Epistory - Typing Chronicles

I saw this game was on sale this morning for $6.49 and normally $14.99 and the game play looked unlike anything else I had ever played before and interesting. The only thing I didnt liek about it was trying to get use to the E,F,J,I controls but looking back I just realized that they are suggested controls but you can use W,A,S,D as well. Which next time i play I am going to go with the WASD controls and see how that feels. Its interesting in that to be good at this game you need to be able to read words and type them as fast as you can. But your not always pressured to type as fast as you can such as to open items or passages you can type as slow as you like, however when you have creatures coming at you from all directions you need to determine which is the immediate threat and type the word that is above them and some creatures coming after you  take 2 or 3 words or more to kill and some of the words are easy like BUG, TOY, DEAR to type fast and kill off the bug before it bites you and other times as you progress further your dealing with larger words and words that you might not have used ever or very often to where you have to pause for a second to realize how its spelled and so you reading it as its spelled on the screen and then typing it as fast as you can without fumbling keys. Oddly you dont have to worry about backspacing if you mess up spelling METEOR and somehow spell METOER it will show EOR left to be typed with the correctly typed letters prior to it greyed out and others in white as the O before the E is incorrect so simply jump directly to E and finish it off with EOR.

At first i was thinking is this game going to be too young of game play for a 42 year old. Typing BUG, TOY, DEAR, and small common words were so easy, but as I progressed further I was like WOW the words are getting bigger, less commonly used words that you might pause for a second and think ok I before E  etc and some words are even ones that are like.... THATS A WORD?  ;D

So while it starts off kiddie-ish it gets into some serious typing pretty quickly and you want to type as correctly as you can or get bit and die. One bite by a bug and you drop. But I've died 2 times already and it seens forgiving i think you have unlimited lives and can just keep pounding away at the keys to try to get past a hard area with a mob fight of 4 or 5 targets reading the words and typing them as fast as you can and looking to see what the next word to type by closest threat is.

I'm happy with the purchase it was a bargain and it has statistics that told me I am typing 24.21 words per minute and the most words typed in a row without a type was 87 and there is an achievement once I get 100 in a row without a typo.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-YpwUF7EM

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Epistory - Typing Chronicles - Bought off of steam on sale
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
This reminded me of a very old typing game I saw on my stepdad's XT Clone system, "Letter Invaders".

Letters would fall from the top of the screen and you had to type the letters to shoot them. Occasionally a "triad" would  fall and it was three letters which you had to type in sequence.

I don't think it had actual words fall but it seems that if the typing was to get more complex progressively like that it would be very similar.

Though I think Letter Invaders probably has lower system requirements :P

the most words typed in a row without a type was 87

haha... well back to 0 now :P
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Epistory - Typing Chronicles - Bought off of steam on sale
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »
ha ha spell check got me too ... no red all is good...  ;D

Spell Check Fail made for an angry ebay customer once of mine. Guys name was Robert and spell check in the e-mail corrected it to "Hello Robbery". The guy thought I was mad because he got an item at a really good deal and sore about it. I had to explain to him that spell check got me and I didn't catch it. I had no issue with him buying it at the opening bid, and told him I don't list items for lesser than I will take, so i am completely satisfied that he bought it at the price tag that he got it for. He was pretty heated with curses etc in the initial e-mail to me on this issue.  ::) :-[

I must have typed Robery since T and Y are neighboring keys, and spellcheck auto corrected and added the extra B to make Hello Robbery!   :P ;D

I suppose I could have said Hello Bob, but then auto correct would probably add an extra O and get me into trouble.  ;D