Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Change laptop from Linux Mint to Windows 10  (Read 3504 times)

lincolnmike64

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Change laptop from Linux Mint to Windows 10
    « on: November 22, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »
    I was recently given a HP 360 Pavilion with Linux Mint. I don't know how to use this. I have a flash drive with the windows version I want. How can I change this laptop back to Windows 10. Thanks in advance Michael.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Change laptop from Linux Mint to Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
    make sure you backup onto external medium any data you want kept first.

but if you plug in your USB stick with Windows on it, and have told the BIOS to include USB as a boot option (or press F12 or F9, can't remember the exact key to bring up the boot choices during startup) then that start the installation straight from the stick.

make sure you have your Windows key handy and the USB stick needs to be set have a bootable ISO image on it, not just simply coping a Windows version to it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Change laptop from Linux Mint to Windows 10
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
    Be prepared to chase down drivers maybe too. If the laptop initially came with 10 and your installing 10 back on it you might get lucky and not need to chase down drivers. Drivers are best downloaded from the manufacturer of the laptop. But if unavailable from manufacturer then you have to chase them down from the chip maker such as RealTek Audio drivers etc and knowing which chip it is etc.

My daughters laptop recently I installed Windows 10 32-bit Home edition to it and it was missing Network and Sound driver support from Dell. I had to chase down drivers which was a pain since it was made initially for Windows Vista. I chased down Intel Driver for Network Adapter to get that working, but for sound I had to add a USB sound card which was driver supported to Windows 10.

If laptop initially came with Windows 10 you can also use the original installation media. If this is unavailable you can contact the maker of the laptop and get the media to install it clean like new. If covered by warranty this is usually free if not covered by warranty there is usually a fee of around $35 for them to mail you the discs or thumb drive to install from.