Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer turn wont turn on  (Read 7370 times)

tribert

Re: computer turn wont turn on
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 01:36:15 PM »
It is odd. Try shutting down and seperately reconnecting each device. It might isolate the drive that is causing the problem. For example: reconnect one DVD drive and see if your computer starts. The problem could still be with one of the drives.  

woahthere

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 02:13:12 PM »
well i just tryed to turn on with both dvd drives connected but the fans just spined no beeps this time so i unpluged the dvd  drive again and its workin fine

tribert

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »
Do you need both DVD drives? They may be conflicting with each other - did they work together before you had the problem or did you add them later. Try re-connecting the second hard drive.

woahthere

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »
they worked together fine. One problem is when i click start turn off nothing happens it ends all the propgrams but just stays on at the desktop so when i turn it off with the button on frunt sometimes it does not boot up straight away

Dell4700

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 04:57:41 PM »
How much of a power supply you need for your system depends on what you are using (your hardware/software) and how/what you are using it for (software/hardware).

Each type of activity can require much different loads on your PS (startup, idle, gaming, drive activity, etc.).

PS are commonly rated (most) for the maximum output they can provide.  Sometimes you can get info about power ratings for specific voltages (e.g. 12v & 3.3v).

Many will design systems to match case type, since this can determine your potential maximum use.  For example, the following is commonly used "rule of thumb."  - MiniTower=350w, MidTower=380w, FullTower=450w and ServerTower=550w.  These usually include at least a 30% margin of safety.

I believe you say you are using a 230 watt PS with a P4 system, 1 GB ram, 2 DVDs, 2 large hard drives & a graphics board?

I guess my question is not why it doesn't work now, but how it ever worked in the first place!  I can only imagine you have changed the use of the system (gaming) or added additional hardware.

Hope you follow the above advice and replace the PS.  Your system can suffer a lot worst than occassional blank screens.

Dell

woahthere

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »
thanks for the help everyone but i am always playing fps games so its not like i just started to play games

ps how hard is it to install a new psu i have never modified a pc before will i have to take parts out and will the psu come with the nessasery cables or do i already have them

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 08:10:16 PM »
It takes about 4 screws once inside the case and unplugging and relugging wires. All will be included with the new PSU. Don't settle for a $9.99 cheapy. YOu can burn up more than that easily. It's really very simple.

woahthere

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 08:17:35 PM »
ok thanks for help :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 08:57:13 PM »
Just get a quality power supply that is big enough and stable enough to pull the load. Make sure it has SATA outlets if you have or may want SATA drives (all of the newest ones do.)