Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDC ERROR Msge - Toshiba T4850CT  (Read 4540 times)

anjasomething

HDC ERROR Msge - Toshiba T4850CT
« on: December 15, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »
Hi there...

Can anyone help? I think I know what the error message means...but don't quite know how to fix it. Any Ideas? I am currently trying to find a system disk online - for this old laptop - maybe i don't need one??? Anyways...here's the problem>>>

On startup...the laptop counts up its memory and displays this error message:

HDC Error

Insert system disk in drive

I can access the Setup System and that seems to be about all!!? On the QuickRead Status Bar...it recognises/activates the Hard Drive and the Floppy Drive. My sister - who gave me the laptop to try to fix...said she use to get it going by leaving it in the airing cupboard - but this hasn't helped me so far!!

???So...any help is totally appreciated!!
Many thanks

GX1_Man

Re: HDC ERROR Msge - Toshiba T4850CT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:22:48 PM »
Dead or improperly connected hard drive. My money is on the former.

Dell4700

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:02:56 PM »
You are undertaking a noble cause.  This laptop originally ran Win 3.11 with a 75 Mhz processor and 500-700 MB hard drive.

You will find system info here:  http://bitlink.ca/Library/Toshiba/T4850.SPC

And support, downloads, information and troubleshooting at the Toshiba Website (UK) here:  http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/generic_content.jsp?service=UK&ID=Support_Homepage&cnt=GENERIC&key=Support_Homepage&banner_id=0000004e80

As above, I think you probably have a loose connection, but you could try conditioning it on the porch for a few days. :)  I take it the airing closet is no longer available?

BTW - do you have a credit card type memory card?  If so, make sure it is properly in place.

Dell

anjasomething

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:11:50 AM »
Yes airing cupboard still avail lol....hard drive currently 'warming' in there! yes the memory card is credit card size. Thanks for your thoughts