Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me deside on a CPU for gaming  (Read 6652 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
help me deside on a CPU for gaming
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
i've finally got enough money to get a new CPU and want to know what one would be best for gaming? i've limited it down to 3 choices but don't know what one would be good... my computer is a laptop with a socketed CPU (yes I can change the cpu I did it when I put a new mainboard in) and I currently have an i5-4300m with 8GB ram... i've eliminated all things that would affect gaming performance including a reinstall of win 7 and deleting my anti-virus and still use 90-95% of CPU all the time while playing games... i'm thinking this CPU is the biggest bottlenecks of this system along with the 8GB ram....

I can go with a fast dual core or slow quad core but what would be best? I've chosen to go with an i7-4610m, an i7-4702MQ or an i7-4712MQ but what one would be best? i'm currently only playing GTA V but would like to play other games soon... what would you say out of the 3 would be the best for all around gaming? i may wanna play PUBG and Friday the 13th soon but i'm having too much fun with GTA V

suggestions?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: help me deside on a CPU for gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:03:54 AM »
What exact model motherboard do you have?

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
What exact model motherboard do you have?

I have a laptop with a socket G3

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
Ok then the make/model of the laptop?

Laptops are very tricky with CPU upgrades by the way. Biggest issue is extra added heat and a heatsink that might not be up to par with a hotter faster CPU. Additionally they are high risk for upgrade failure. Then there is the issue if the BIOS will support the microcode for the better CPU that you want to install. You could run into a situation where it doesnt boot off that better CPU, or if it does it runs with a microcode error ( in which it will report as the wrong CPU but will be functional after pressing a F key to continue ), or if it runs it runs too hot and shuts itself down, or if your really really lucky it will be fine.

Laptops that have been successful in CPU upgrades usually you have to look up what exact main board you have including which Rev it is. Look at other similar models that also use that main board as a reference to what is the most powerful CPU that board has been paired with by manufacturer, and then stick with a CPU that they offered with one of their more expensive laptop models to upgrade your lesser expensive model. That right there only gives you a 90% chance that it will work in your board. You then have to worry about what BIOS version your board is to support the microcode for that processor.

Then I would look up the part number for the heatsink and then be sure that a system with the i7 you want to run  also is using your heatsink you already have. If it is then heat shouldnt be a problem, if its not in any build for use with that i7 you can run into overheating of the laptops CPU and GPU.

I'd advise against messing with a CPU upgrade for a laptop due to the fact that I have seen lots of troubles with trying to squeeze more processing power out of them. Laptops are meant to pretty much be disposable when the CPUs fall short of performance expectations. Maybe sell that laptop and buy one with the CPU in it that you want.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
Ok then the make/model of the laptop?

Laptops are very tricky with CPU upgrades by the way. Biggest issue is extra added heat and a heatsink that might not be up to par with a hotter faster CPU. Additionally they are high risk for upgrade failure. Then there is the issue if the BIOS will support the microcode for the better CPU that you want to install. You could run into a situation where it doesnt boot off that better CPU, or if it does it runs with a microcode error ( in which it will report as the wrong CPU but will be functional after pressing a F key to continue ), or if it runs it runs too hot and shuts itself down, or if your really really lucky it will be fine.

Laptops that have been successful in CPU upgrades usually you have to look up what exact main board you have including which Rev it is. Look at other similar models that also use that main board as a reference to what is the most powerful CPU that board has been paired with by manufacturer, and then stick with a CPU that they offered with one of their more expensive laptop models to upgrade your lesser expensive model. That right there only gives you a 90% chance that it will work in your board. You then have to worry about what BIOS version your board is to support the microcode for that processor.

Then I would look up the part number for the heatsink and then be sure that a system with the i7 you want to run  also is using your heatsink you already have. If it is then heat shouldnt be a problem, if its not in any build for use with that i7 you can run into overheating of the laptops CPU and GPU.

I'd advise against messing with a CPU upgrade for a laptop due to the fact that I have seen lots of troubles with trying to squeeze more processing power out of them. Laptops are meant to pretty much be disposable when the CPUs fall short of performance expectations. Maybe sell that laptop and buy one with the CPU in it that you want.

all models use the same cpu heatsink with one model heatsink for iGPU only laptops and one for dGPU added laptops... all of the ones I choice are 37W TDP.... the i7-4610m is a dual core where as the other two are quad core... my laptop could have been ordered with an i7-4600M, i7-4700MQ, i7-4800MQ or i7-4900MQ from factory... I don't want the 4700, 4800, or 4900 due to the higher TDP plus I don't think I need that much clock speed... I don't even think my laptop with dGPU would have came with the i5-4300m from factory but I put it in as that's all I have for now

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Just saw that I missed your response on this, and my answer to that is I suppose you could try the swap then. If the BIOS is the same then you will be successful. If there is a BIOS version difference between your current BIOS and the BIOS that came with the  i7-4610m CPU model then you might need to flash it forward. You might be ok leaving the BIOS alone. I suppose if you can get a good deal on the CPU, swap it and see what happens. If it doesn't boot or boots with a microcode error then put original CPU back in and then flash it to the flash of the model that came with the  i7-4610m CPU, then swap the CPU back in and then all should be good assuming that the main boards are exactly the same and only difference is BIOS version for supported CPUs.