Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GPU or Monitor issue? Really strange  (Read 4490 times)

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    GPU or Monitor issue? Really strange
    « on: December 02, 2017, 07:27:35 AM »
    Hi everyone, first off thank you for having this site, it's nice to see a free platform to get some help and I really appreciate any input as to what may be causing my very strange issue.

My computer is hand built and have never had an issue with it before. I used to have a Radeon HD 7970 GPU but replaced it with the powerful GTX 1080...the card works fine but if my computer shuts off unexpectedly, example power outage, a windows update that was stuck (blue screen after shutting off, example 04 of 15), or anything that would cause the PC to need to be turned off in a way which isn't normal, normal being defined as windows, start, shut down, upon reboot my computer tower will power on just fine but the monitor will display no signal and just stay black. I don't think it's necessarily an issue with my monitor because I have a 4k one now and this problem will still happen.

The only way I have found to fix this is to take the (i'm guessing its a dvi cable, the white one with pins), and to take it off of the GPU slot and connect it to the processor slot instead, power on computer, wait 10 secs, shut off and re connect to the GPU, after doing this the computer will resume as normally. Since I have a 4k monitor now with display port, i need to take out my old screen with the DVI cable if i am to fix the issue.

I've never seen anything like this before, it seems to happen since I replaced the gpu though....I have an ASUS gaming mother board and my power supply is 750 W if it helps any. Also my OS is windows 7.

Thank you again guys, much appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: GPU or Monitor issue? Really strange
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
    Make and Model # of PSU ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
      hi patio, the power supply says its a LSP ULTRA 750W ATX Power Supply with model # ULT-LSP750     Hope it helps :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
      That's a marginal PSU at best...

However to rule out temps as the culprit DLoad install and run Speedfan and see how hot things are getting...you can minimise it to the tray and do some gaming for say 10 minutes and get readings under load...

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »
        Come to think of it my GTX seems to be a little bit loud when I'm running 4K gaming I'll download that now and play for about 10 minutes and then will let you know what I find. If I should replace the PSU with something stronger what would you recommend?

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
          after 15 min of gameplay my temperatures are:

GPU 55 c
          System 48 c
          CPU 128 c
          Aux 0 22 c
          aux 1 39 c
          aux 2 -128 c
          aux 3 -23 to -60 c
          hd0 and hd1 are 46 and 47 c

Okay final edit, real temps seems to have the CPU reaching 44 - 52 C or so, it's quad core so they seem to fluctuate a lot.

the GPU is at 53 C

Edit:  I did some research, someone else had 128 C cpu on speedfan and the forums suggested trying realtemp as it can handle the newer CPU readings, will edit and update this using realtemps readings, I think 128 c would melt my computer lol.

I had to minimize skyrim to get to desktop and check.
          « Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:48:15 AM by robv187 »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
          Nothin wrong with testin with aNother app...
          That 128 is a worry though...

CPU-Z is another one i believe...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
          See Here...

Thay are not a retailer...so shop around...solid unit for the price.

Mark.

Adviser
          • Forum Regular
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
          @rob,
          what was the app that gave you that 128 CPU temp?
          if it was Speccy, it has a known issue of wrongly reporting some temps on some PC's.

as to the display starting correctly from a normal boot and not showing anything on a restart after an abnormal shutdown, I'm just thinking that maybe it could be a BIOS setting that has the integrated graphics card listed first.  I realise it's a long shot, but sometimes they pay out.  ;)

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »
            Thank you both for your help :)   It was the speedfan app which gave me the 128 c CPU reading, I used the real temp app instead for CPU. I just played around 3 hours of a heavily modded skyrim in 4k and have measured my new temps, GPU got to around 65 c and the cpu was roughly 50 c, I'm not an expert but I think those temps are okay :)      I will check out another psu patio thank you.

I think that may infact be whats causing the issue Mark, my dad mentioned something with the integrated card but he wasn't sure either, the way you described it makes a lot more sense. How would I go about fixing something like that? Everytime the PC shuts off abnormally i get worried I may not be able to bring my computer back.

Thank you again as it is greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
            Those temps are fine...

90 % of the time when a card is installed onboard grafix are disabled...so i don't think thats the issue...

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
              you are 100 % correct patio, i just tried the bios and everything seems in order. The problem happened again...this time it was after a normal shut off using windows. It was difficult to turn back on...i don't know now if my solution was the fix...I unplugged the power supply cord this time...held the power button to eliminate any residual power and then it finally booted. Does this sound like a bad power supply? I wonder if it's starting to fail on me, my sisters boyfriend is knowledgable and said that ULTRA brand isn't so good and people have had issues, a lot of my parts are from 2011 also. I think I might try replacing the psu with a reputable brand and up it to 850 w, fingers crossed that fixes the issue.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
              You are goin overboard on wattage...more wattage don't equal clean power...
              For example the 1 i linked is a 550...puts out more power under load than your current one does...
              So it would be more than adequate for that system...

On a side note if it's that old i would DLoad and run diagnostics on that HDD from the HDD manuf. site...it's likely not the cause of restart issues but it'll tell you if its healthy or not

Keep us posted.

Mark.

Adviser
              • Forum Regular
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 11:46:08 PM »
              now you have the PC not starting despite the way it was turned off would point more to power issues, so yes, consider replacing the >6yo PSU and have you taken the cover off the tower and checked the motherboard capacitors - are any bulging or worse, leaking?

with the age of your system, it may have all solid caps on the mobo, with is great and means there will be no external sign of voltage over currents.
              but for that vintage the caps may have be scored to provide a release mechanism to stop them from exploding, they'll have a K sort of symbol scribed into the top.
              this top should be flat, with no outward curve at all and certainly no 'gunk' leaking out of the score mark.

robv187

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
                Will try your suggestions and will let you guys know. I haven't taken the casing off the part where the power supply is is see through so was easy to check the make and model. My dad is the one that built the computer for me so he is a bit more knowledgeable on what to look for I'll pass on your message and get him to see if everything is okay or not and in the meantime I can try out that program and run it to see if there's any other issues. No matter what though I will definitely replace the power supply unit hopefully within a week since the ultra brand Isn't So Good and it might be causing me issues.  Once again I really appreciate all of the input I'll keep everyone posted so you know if the problem was fixed by changing the power supply.