Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer or Browser is Slow  (Read 2908 times)

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Computer or Browser is Slow
    « on: December 08, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
    (I was not sure where to put this question....)I have Windows 7 professional and I don't know what's going on exactly. I'll explain as best I can. I leave my pc on all the time with the internet on. After a little bit of non-use, my pc monitor goes to sleep as it should. Recently it has become not unusual for my monitor to be slow to come on when I move the mouse. Once it does come on, my internet (I have Firefox browser) does not want to respond. In other words, I click on my webpages and they either won't open or it takes an excruciatingly long time to do so. So I have to restart the computer and then log back on to my internet. Everything is then fine. It may do okay for many hours or I may come back in a few hours and it's the same story all over again. Sometimes a message will come up saying a webpage is slowing down the browser do I want to stop it? I click "yes" but it generally has little effect. Does anyone have any advice or guess to what is going on? It's getting to be a pain restarting my pc a lot!
    Thank you!
    Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Computer or Browser is Slow
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
    Do you have HDD goin into sleep mode also...that would cause these symptoms...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
    Closing the browser and relaunching the browser without a reboot doesnt fix this?

My wife leaves her system on all the time and firefox lags out when opened for the greater part of the day but its because the browser starts to consume all the system memory of 4GB RAM her system has after being on all day with all sorts of tabs open some with flash games and others with facebook and other websites, and generally closing firefox and then relaunching firefox corrects for this without a reboot. She also is running Windows 7 but Home edition instead of Professional.

How much RAM does your system have? or make/model info?

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
      I'm afraid that I don't know what HDD means...told you I am crummy at computer stuff!
      Thanks!

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
        My computer is a Dell Optiplex 780 and it says it has 4 GB of RAM.
        That's all I know. :(
        Thanks!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
        Sorry for assuming...HDD = hard drive...check in power options if that is set to sleep/hibernate,

Personally i never use any of Windows power save options.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
          Nothing seems to help except turning off the pc manually. When the pc starts back up, it runs fine for awhile. Then if I leave the pc and come bak, say even 10 minutes later, it will likely be slow again. I do not think it is just firefox. The actual pc is slow. I do not understand this as I do nothing on it except ebay and email and a few other pages. I do not have much stored on this pc. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? Thank you!

Mike Finn

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 07:56:38 AM »
            yes, you are right the issue is more related with PC instead of the browser. I am using multiple browsers but all of them are working slow it means there is an issue more with PC rather than browsers. But yes, I found opera bit heavy compared to firefox or chrome.