Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two firewalls needed?  (Read 2292 times)

jmncrr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Two firewalls needed?
    « on: December 17, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
    I have a second router hooked up to my main router by Lan to Lan for a better wifi connection, and have disabled the wifi in the main router.
    Should i turn the firewall off on the second router, and will it conflict with the main router's firewall if left on?
    Will having two router firewalls running slow down the wifi connection?
     If i do turn it off the second routers firewall, will there be a security risk with any device using the second routers wifi?
    Thanks for any replies

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Two firewalls needed?
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
    Keep the firewalls on by all means. If you need something to pass through for communications that is otherwise blocked with firewall enabled then you need to set up port forwarding or something like that to make an exception for traffic to come through the firewall to a specific device on a specific port or ports. It would be Extremely Foolish to run with firewalls turned off unless you want hackers to strike when they execute a port probe script and find you wide open for attack.

The only time I used 2 routers was to have two levels of security. The first router being the guest network and least secure in which I had  my daughters friends connecting their wireless devices to this as well as I had an apache web server on it with port forwarding until buying into a web host. My second router being the most secure and its for computers that need to be isolated from the rest in which there are no port forwarding exceptions etc, and a monkey in middle attack wont happen at the first network because the data is encrypted going from the second through the first. I ran wireshark on the first and watched my packets and verified that nothing was clear text with authentications etc.