Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Disk  (Read 2211 times)

jgregory

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Boot Disk
    « on: December 17, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
    I have retained (as a collector's item) a very old (around 1994) Midwest Micro Elite Soundbook TS30AS laptop (probably one of the very first laptops - 640 Kb memory). It is still operating, and I tried to boot it up . . . and it is asking for a boot disk. The floppy drive is the 3 1/4 size. I'm not sure what operating system is on the laptop. What would you suggest? I see that Midwest Micro was acquired by Systemax in 1997. Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Boot Disk
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
    Any bootable floppy disk can be used without altering the C: drive. The hard drive might not be booting because the CMOS battery is dead. Depending on BIOS you might need to see what hard drive this has in it and manually specify the hard drive parameters to get it to mount the hard drive and boot off its OS on that Hard Drive. Can you locate the CMOS battery to replace it as well as are you able to figure out the make/model hard drive to get all the parameters in order to mount the hard drive properly. The master boot record is likely fine at the hard drive but until BIOS is given hard drive configuration parameters that drive wont be accessible even from a bootable floppy.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Boot Disk
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »
    You will find something Here...

However since your's wont boot you will need a workin PC with a floppy drive to do so...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "