Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting elusive system lag  (Read 7661 times)

Fluffers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Need help troubleshooting elusive system lag
    « Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 04:00:49 AM »
    Alright, I've made a breakthrough, although it just makes everything more confusing.

I use a program called jetclean from time to time, it searches out and deletes dead files etc, it's an excellent cleaning software. While I was using it I looked through the settings and saw that there's another software by the same company called jetboost, and decided to check it out. One of it's unintentional uses is that it allows you to quickly and easily target any and all processes and services on your computer, and lets you temporarily disable them with a single central button. Well, using it's recommended settings, it stopped 20 services and enabled 4 of its own boosting techniques; cleaning the ram, clearing the clipboard, disabling automatic updates, and enabling the "jet boost power solution". Now, at first when I used this software to see if it would restore my PC to its original speed, it did, and I was elated that I could finally find what service was causing the problem. After going through every single service in the list, none of them restored my system's speed and response time when disabled. However, I still had the 4 extra options to chose from. Obviously it wouldn't be something like clearing the clipboard or disabling automatic updates, so I checked to see if the "jet boost power solution" was restoring my system's speed, and to my surprise, it was.

Here's all I can find about this option:

"Changes your power settings to high performance"

From the website:

"Game power solution:Optimizes your PC power setting to deliver a powerful gaming experience"

That's literally everything. The weird thing is, I've always had my power settings set to high performance. It's doing SOMETHING to my PC to make it not lag anymore, and I have no freaking idea what. As relieving as it is to have a solution to the problem, it's just a bandage, and I still don't know what specifically is wrong. I have to just always have this program running with this option in order to have a not-laggy computer. The fact that I have absolutely no idea why my entire system is extremely laggy, and became extremely laggy out of nowhere, is still bothering me.

I might just backup my ssd, format it, and reinstall windows.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
    I don't advise using JetClean, it's garbage and you're messing stuff up with it.  <edit> That's the technical explanation I think.... </edit>

You don't need to do anything to optimize your SSD

What are you measuring the latency with?

Evil is an exact science.

Fluffers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:37 AM »
      What are you measuring the latency with?

Uh, I haven't actually measured any latency so far, I've just kinda been "feeling" it

Like how a cook "eyeballs" an ingredient rather than accurately measure it

So far I've just been trying to single out any particular cause of the system lag

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
      Uh, I haven't actually measured any latency so far, I've just kinda been "feeling" it

Yeah, that's really accurate, you really think that you can tell on your own?
      The first thing I would look at is your internet, second is that bunk GPU - XFX doesn't have drivers for it, they use generic AMD drivers

Fluffers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 04:17:07 AM »
        The first thing I would look at is your internet, second is that bunk GPU - XFX doesn't have drivers for it, they use generic AMD drivers

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? To be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard of internet latency being capable of causing system lag, I wasn't even aware that it was possible.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
        Are you saying that you are experiencing latency whether or not you are connected to the internet?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 04:26:58 AM »
        Perhaps the power options that the setting you mention adjust are found in the advanced power options? In the control panel if you click "Change Plan Settings" next to the plan and then "Change Advanced Power Settings" there are a number of different power options. You might want to write down the settings as they appear before and after you set the option in the program, which should help you determine what it changes so you can do it yourself.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.