Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO INTERNET  (Read 3316 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    NO INTERNET
    « on: December 25, 2017, 04:34:26 AM »
    Yesterday, we had power surge about 30 seconds. since then i have not been able to gt on the internet. everything i press,
    it just says there is no internet connection.  have tried going on control panel but it wont let me do anything. i have checked all my plugs they are all ok,  i am sending this email from my laptop ,and it connects to the same router,so i am stuck any advise will be welcome.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: NO INTERNET
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:48:14 AM »
    Try pinging from laptop to other device. If unable to get a successful ping to say the other computer at say 192.168.1.12 ( you will need to find the IP of the device in order to ping it ) then if not able to ping the computer that has no internet then move it to a different port in the router or switch that its connected to such as the known good port that the laptop was using and see if this fixes it. If it doesnt fix it then its likely that the network adapter took a hit and a new network adapter needs to be installed. Most computers only have 1 network adapter connection, but if you have a high end gaming or server board with dual network adapters, move to the other adapter and see if that corrects for this. Never seen a surge take out a network cable but you can also try swapping that out. In the end, buying a network adapter for like $10-15 USD would likely fix this issue and you have choice of buying a USB type wired or wireless network adapter or go the route of an internally installed network adapter if you know what you have available for a PCI or PCI Express slot to plug a network adapter into.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
    if the Pc without network access is a desktop and you connect via ethernet cable , check the LED lights on the ethernet port (both on the Pc and at the modem)  are  on.
    no lights = dead port.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:06:55 PM »
    From the first post, it is not clear what thepower sruge was.
    Yesterday, we had power surge about 30 seconds. since then i have not been able to gt on the internet

Where would anybody get a 30 second power sruge? That is very odd.

He sis not say what kind of Internet service he has.

Also, the OP needs to finmd out if the damage was only to therouter, modem or the computer. Did the power surge damage the modem?

My guess is the power sruge damaged the router, if he has a router.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 03:19:51 AM »
      HI  its' me again SORRY about the delay,firstly i have been trying to understand all that you  told me, some of it i cant'. let me try and tell you what i can.the 30 second power-out,i dont know what caused it but all of a sudden all  the electrics went off, the sockets (my pc) lights clocks.
       all of it. i clicked it back on at the consumer unit immediately  they all came back on. my isp is SKY so i rung them to check my internet , and everything was fine.
      my laptop is programmed to the same router it worked fine.so i checked  with other sources and they said to check my services.i did.
      and about 75% was disabled. so i enabled what i thought was needed,and most of it came back.the only thing that still dosn't' work is firewall.
      network and firewall as a red cross against it and i get can' get it back.tried all windows suggestion.but still no firewall.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU DAVELEMBKE    ROSBERT   MARK    GREEK- 9 PM.  I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP PLEASE HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR.