Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Linux for Netflix. As Good as Windows?  (Read 17787 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Best Linux for Netflix. As Good as Windows?
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:47:17 PM »
The subject could be "Linux is better for Netflix"    :P
Earlier Netflix said they would support Linux with some limitations.
Here are some links about recent work in that area.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/watch-netflix-natively-linux-easy-way/
Canonical already had support for full native playback in Ubuntu 14.10+ but with the update pushed to LTS users of both 14.04 and 12.04 it showed the dedication that Linux distros like Ubuntu have for the experience of their users. Additionally the support for Ubuntu 14.04 and 12.04 provided out of the box native playback support for all the derivative/flavor distros of Ubuntu such as Linux Mint, Linux Lite, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, and many more.
And...
https://www.quora.com/Which-OS-is-best-for-just-watching-netflix-Im-familiar-with-ubuntu-and-a-couple-of-other-linux-distros-but-my-friend-has-an-old-laptop-which-cant-really-handle-netflix-very-well
The link says it.
...plus
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distro
Modern Linux distros are designed to appeal to a large number of users who run modern hardware.

As a result, they have become too bloated for older machines, even if you manually delete files. Without a healthy dollop of system memory and an extra core or two, these distros may not deliver the best performance.
Thankfully, there are many lightweight distros, trimmed and tweaked by expert hands, which can be used to breathe new life into older hardware.
He goes onto recommend a number of light distros. One that got my attention is 'Tiny Core', which has three models.  ;D
Here is a link:
http://www.tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html

Netflix over Linux has some advantages. You could take an old PC  that does not have an up-to-date Windows and convert it to a free media ready Linux.
Great for your family media room.

I commend you try Linux for your next family media box project.  :)

Note to moderator. This could groin Linux forum, I like it here.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Best Linux for Netflix. As Good as Windows?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:57:10 PM »
Ever since Adobe dropped flash support updates Linux, Linux for me hasnt been used much. Lots of media has flash in the background and wont run correct or will pop up stating to update flash to new version which doesnt exist for Linux and wont play through older version. So found it easier to just use my Windows system unfortunately.   :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Best Linux for Netflix. As Good as Windows?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:51:03 PM »
I don't even remember the last time I visited a page which had issues because I didn't have Flash installed. HTML5 seems to have covered it for things like Youtube.

Most Smart TVs, set top boxes, and things like the Roku or Chromecast all run Linux, and they have Netflix, so clearly Netflix is fully supported on Linux. For desktop distributions you'll usually have to do something yourself to get it installed.

As I recall, however, I think some of Netflix's 4K content is only available on Windows 10 via the Windows 10 "App" and requires certain Intel CPUs as well. Obviously that isn't available on Linux.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.