Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 5 beeps on startup issue, cannot boot, no display  (Read 2565 times)

ttyl103

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    5 beeps on startup issue, cannot boot, no display
    « on: December 31, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
    I have a old pc (5 years) with
    -Memory (1*8gb)
    -Intel core i5
    -HP Pavilion
    -Since I cannot boot my pc, the rest of details are absent
    Please help!

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: 5 beeps on startup issue, cannot boot, no display
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
    first thing to try is to remove the processor, memory and video card (if it has one) and clean their contacts and the slot they came from, put them back and see if that helps.
    the processor will probably need new thermal paste - but for this test to just to get the PC to boot, you'll be fine.

has the PC been in use and this problem has suddenly happened?

during bootup, can you get into the BIOS?  (usual keys are Del, Esc or F2, but since you have no display, this is probably NO)
    is the PC getting power, that is, are LED's flashing, hard drives spinning and fans whirring when you start it?

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »
      5 beeps on a HP is normally a memory fault. The first thing I would do is with the power turned off at the wall, but still plugged in. Ground yourself to the case of the computer and then remove and insert the memory 3 or 4 times. This should clean the contacts or improve the contact between the socket and memory.

If the pavilion is a laptop then make sure you remove the main battery and disconnect the laptop from the power supply before removing and inserting the memory. Ground yourself before touching the memory.

If after doing this the computer still doesn't boot you may need to try the other memory slot or different memory.

Justin_Time

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »
      I believe 5 beeps indicates a BIOS issue. Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If so try going to the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard and see if there's a bios update available.
      Helping others is a great way to make some else's life happier and make you feel good about yourself.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »
      The beep codes do NOT indicate a bios issue and do NOT flash your bios without a reason to do so.

The beep codes are specific to the bios in your system. 5 beeps on your system probably indicates a major hardware failure - please see: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922