Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My internet is OK but sometimes my browsers will not connect  (Read 2557 times)

tompilitowski

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My internet is OK but sometimes my browsers will not connect
    « on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
    I have Windows 7 and use Firefox but mostly Chrome and Gmail. I have tried several "fixes" suggested by others on web searches and another forum website when my browsers will not connect, not only sometimes on startup but it happens sometimes as I am working on a browser and suddenly a page will not connect. My Internet is OK because my wife can be on her laptop not having problem one.

Here is something that will work to get it to connect. Simply restart my PC. Great, but I don't want to keep doing that!!
    Now ...... all the commands, (tips I have tried), say to RESTART my computer. SO ......... how do I know if and what is causing my problem when the restart fixes it in the first place?
    I tried safe mode but honestly......... I did not know much about it.
    Thanks in advance for help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My internet is OK but sometimes my browsers will not connect
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »
    Computer info like make/model or specs would help know what you have for a system.

Is this connected via cat5 cable or wireless? ( Have you tried connecting via a wired cat5 cable instead if you have been using wireless to see if its related to the wireless NIC dropping out to where if the problem is gone when connected by a cat5 or cat6 cable and only happens when connected to wifi that would point you in a direction as to the cause. ) * I have seen wireless problems before cause this with a wireless that comes and goes and the browser is left hanging.

Has this system ever been infected with malware or a virus and have you scanned recently for problems to know that the system is clean and healthy? * I have seen browser hijacker malware before cause problems like this.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
    Try moving your router.  I experienced some disconnection from my wireless router with my tablet computer and found that placing the router on a higher surface in the room resulted in improved connectivity.

XXXMenZero

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:15:23 AM »
      I think you must check your DNS settings

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »
      Feel free to ignore the DNS suggestion above.