Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Folder in Friefox bookmarks  (Read 1889 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Folder in Friefox bookmarks
    « on: January 12, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
    Have created a folder on my desktop and filled it with a few short texts typed in WORD 2016.

Is it possible to put this folder in the Firefox Bookmarks?  How to do it?

Thank you in advance fro your help.

GUZEPPI
    GUZEPPI

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Folder in Friefox bookmarks
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
    I was able to create a path in a bookmark by entering it into URL bar for the path on the C: drive and it works. Just enter the path to the folder in the url bar and then create bookmark to it. Screenshot snippet shows success for my test folder at C:

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
    You can use the mouse to drag and drop a file or folder into Firefox and then bookmark it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
    Cool... even easier... Thanks for sharing salmon. I wasn't aware of that drag-n-drop feature.  8)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »
    You can drag and drop both files and folders into Opera, Firefox and Google Chrome that I know of. If you drag a folder it looks a bit like you are browsing an FTP site. You can see the files and any subfolders in the folder as clickable links and browse potentially up to the root of the drive using "Up to higher level directory" links. If you click on a file link various things might happen depending on the file type (images, text files, videos open in the same tab, if the browser doesn't know what to do with the file, it'll suggest you "download" it.). What happens if you drag a file depends on what kind of file it is also. Also you can specify a file or folder in the address bar using UNC path. Best to use foward slashes. As for other browsers, if you drag a file into IE11 it tries to deal with it, and if you drag a folder, it opens in Windows Explorer. Microsoft Edge seems to ignore drag-and-drop.  Incidentally, someone told me their employer hastily rolled out Firefox ESR to them (they are on XP and not getting W10 until later this year) and... guess what? You can browse the C: drive, which you're not even supposed to see! He says he doesn't want to tell his IT helpdesk in case he gets in trouble for even trying it. So folder permissions may need attention if data confidentiality is important.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:23:00 AM by Salmon Trout »