Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No display after clearing CMOS + Random System Freezing  (Read 2537 times)

VinentGames

Topic Starter

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
No display after clearing CMOS + Random System Freezing
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
Built it 2 weeks ago, and around a week ago my PC randomly freezes, forcing me to hard power off. Clearing the CMOS can sometimes give me a couple freeze-free hours, so I did it like usual. This time, I am getting no display after clearing it like usual. I asked the PCMR discord about the random freezing, and they said it's probably my motherboard.
Specs:Ryzen 3 1200, stock clock right now, I did try to OC it but it got to around 80C so I got scared and turned it off and cleared CMOS, and another time I_______and put it @2.4V for 0-10 seconds.
GTX 1050 Ti OC edition, never overclocked it though after my bad CPU OC experience
2x4gb 3000Mhz RAM: Tried to put it in XMP but had some problems, so it's at stock
Mobo:Asrock AB350M Pro4 googled it, and apparently other people have had problems with this freezing. If there is any hardware I need to return because it was defective out of the box, it's probably this.
PSU: CX 450 2017
Storage: WD 1TB 7200RPM, I have windows 10(without a key) on it
misc:case is spec-04 if it matters, also have TP LINK WDN 4800 if that makes a difference
I tried to swap the RAM sticks, used 1 stick, swapped it, put 2 back in, same results
any help would be very much appreciated
;-;
Edit: The freezing happened after the 2.4V, and PCMR has now said it sounds the voltage fried it. Just came here to be sure. Any other way to go about this other than buying a new CPU?
Edit 2: Don't know how to update my BIOS and am pretty sure that won't help, if I really should try it before doing anything else, please notify me. My current plan is to RMA the mobo and if it still doesn't work I'll buy another R3 1200.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:30:33 PM by patio »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: No display after clearing CMOS + Random System Freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
Keep it clean...we have Members od all ages here...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
do you know if ASROCK still warranties their mobo's if overclocked?
my knowledge is years old, but when OC'ing was all the flavour I seem to recall the manufactures basically said 'OC at your own risk'.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
Did you in fact replace the CMOS battery > ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
    Hi

Checking over the parts of your computer everything should work, there is no need to update the bios, your CPU has been supported with all bios versions for your motherboard. The power supply is a little close to the minimum but should still work I probably would have brought a higher wattage of one of the TX-m series. 
    So the first thing to try if the computer is powering up but not displaying, that you haven't left the clear cmos clear jumper on. Then  disconnect the 2 motherboard power connectors and wait for about 5 minutes ( you do have both the connectors connected to disconnect?).
    Then reset the cmos again with the jumper. This will ensure that all the over clock settings are deleted. then make sure the power connections are re connected and are completely in the sockets.
    If the computer still doesn't power up  at all remove your video card and  try using the on board video.
    If still not working it is most likely the Motherboard is faulty not the CPU.
    And a new motherboard is cheaper and easier to resell than a CPU so would be the next thing to to replace.
    As to the computer not being stable is the  CPU heat sink mounted correctly, is the heat sink getting warm when the computer is running?. If not you may need to remount the heat sink this should only be necessary if you have removed the heat sink since first mounting.
    It's always a good idea to get the computer set up and working reliably for 2 or 3 weeks before attempting over clocking . These days with computers being so fast I wouldn't bother for the small increase in speed to over clock.
    You might see an improvement in speed without over clocking with  a Licensed copy of  Windows 10 and an SSD.  ;)