Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What good is Win 10 if search is useless  (Read 3367 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    What good is Win 10 if search is useless
    « on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
    Since my update to 1709, I could never get Cortana to work, especially in the search depjartment. i've done considerable research and found that I am not alone with this problem. So far for all the offers of how to correct this problem have not worked. Personally, I don't care about the 'live chat' ...all i ask for is the old search box w henever i may have to get to a certain area. As of now, I do my limited searching by doing the Window + R, E routines, which is a pain. Am I too late in starting from scratch with a new win 10, or do i have to buy it? If i am not too late, could I get at least back to the 1709 version or not?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What good is Win 10 if search is useless
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
    You could try refreshing windows, or using "Reset Your PC" found in Settings. Though as you've not provided any specifics beyond "it doesn't work" who knows if that could fix it.

You could check indexing options and make sure the locations you want to search are being indexed by checking Indexing Options.

Also, if you don't actually utilize anything cortana specific, and just want the "old" file search feature from Vista through Windows 8.1 which searched your local files and shortcuts, you can turn off Cortana by creating an "AllowCortana" DWORD Value via Registry Editor at HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
      you can turn off Cortana by creating an "AllowCortana" DWORD Value via Registry Editor at HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.>>>

I get as far as Windows and there is no  "Windows Search" shown.

You could try refreshing windows, or using "Reset Your PC" found in Settings. >>>

I don't know what version you have, but mine does not show anything that says "reset your PC" in my settings.

You could check indexing options and make sure the locations you want to search are being indexed by checking Indexing Options.>>>

i don't understand the above at all.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »
      Personally, I disable Windows search and use "Everything" (https://www.voidtools.com/). It is lightweight, free, and provides instantaneous returns.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
      Allan, thanks for the tip.  :)
      Here is a review of Everything search tool:
      http://download.cnet.com/Everything/3000-2379_4-10890746.html
      Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, as the software may contain bugs or potentially damage your system. We strongly recommend that users exercise caution and save all mission-critical data before installing and/or using this software.
      Apparently it is the best among some other alternatives:
      10 Best Free Search Tools for Windows 10
      Windows Search has always had a number of neat tips and tricks you could use, but it was never quite on par with the search features of OS X and Linux. And while Windows 10 did lessen the gap in a lot of ways, it’s still slow and imperfect.
      If you find yourself constantly searching for files and folders throughout your system, you may be better off switching to one of these third-party tool instead. Windows Search is only good for basic and casual use.
      Yest I still use Cortana. It works for me.  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
      A lot of people, including me, find Agent Ransack a very good search tool. And it's British.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 03:21:21 PM »
      I get as far as Windows and there is no  "Windows Search" shown.
      Then create it. (if you right-click the Windows Key you can create a new key named "Windows Search")
      I don't know what version you have, but mine does not show anything that says "reset your PC" in my settings.

Start->Settings, "Update and Security", "recovery" and "Reset this PC".
      You could check indexing options and make sure the locations you want to search are being indexed by checking Indexing Options.>>>

i don't understand the above at all.

Start->Run "Control" to get to the old control panel, then "Indexing Options". (You might need to change view to Large Icons or Small Icons to get it to be visible).

This will tell you what folders are indexed. Start->Search doesn't search entire drives or your entire PC and starts out limited to a few specific locations in order to make indexing those locations more performant.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
        Start->Settings, "Update and Security", "recovery" and "Reset this PC".  >>>

I attempted this choice and after about an half hour of waiting for the results, I got a message that there was a problem and it could not be reset. Nothing else was mentioned as what my recourse should be..just a cancel button. Fortunately, I have this Win 7 OS and that is where i am posting this from. Any suggestions? FYI, I chose the option of resetting by keeping my files.
        Quote[/
        b]