Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New PC build wont start (anymore)  (Read 3061 times)

Jkelly663

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New PC build wont start (anymore)
    « on: January 15, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
    Hey all, I just finished my pc build, I turned on the pc first time it booted, but I forgot to plug in the pci-e cable to the gpu. So I turned off the computer, plugged in a 8 pin pci to the gpu, red power light on gpu turned to white, hit the power button on the case, the computer flashed as if it tried to start and then everything went dead, now I can’t get it to boot at all. I even tried to boot it with the gpu unplugged and cleared cmos and still nothing. I tested the psu outside the pc and it works fine. I tried only plugging the mobo and cpu into the psu and still wont fire up. I’m starting to think my mobo is fried. Has anybody had this problem before? Thanks.

Specs: CPU- I5 8600k
    GPU- Asus ROG strix 1080
    PSU- Corsair 750w
    Memory- 16gb 3000mhz
    MOBO- MSI Z370 gaming plus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New PC build wont start (anymore)
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »
    Try removing the card and see if it works proper...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: New PC build wont start (anymore)
      « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
      Hi it is unlikely anything is damaged.

when you say "wont fire up" do you mean the power supply isn't turning on or there is no video ?
      First thing to check is the power switch at the rear of the power supply is turned on.
      This is important.
      If it isn't powering up then disconnect all power TO the power supply so disconnect the mains lead , wait for a few minutes .
      Then as Patio said remove the 1080 card and disconnect the power from the card.

See if the computer powers up. If it does check it is displaying at least with the on board graphics using the dvi port.
      Now check the managed cable is the one supplied with the power supply for pcie and it is connected correctly at the power supply.
      If so then try the computer with the 1080 with the pcie cable plugged in this time. It's unlikely it can be reversed but check in the video card manual for the correct orientation of the power plug.
      All steps should be done with the power switch on the power supply turned off.   

If it still isn't starting can you post some pictures of YOUR build to check out the motherboard mounting etc.