Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can NOT put Visual Studio Express on WIndsows XP.  (Read 6680 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Can NOT put Visual Studio Express on WIndsows XP.
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:53:24 PM »
Is this true?
I am sure  a time past Visual Express did work  on my XP machine.
Recently I did  install XP all over again. Just now I tried to install Visual Studio 2012 and it bailed. So I tried the Visual Express 2010 and is stalls.

Somewhere I read that Visual Studio 2013 will work on Windows XP. 
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2013-compatibility-vs
I am confused.

Does anybody know what is going on ?    :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can NOT put Visual Studio Express on WIndsows XP.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:28:21 AM »
The link covers available Platform targets, not systems that Visual Studio itself will run on. That is, you can build software with Visual Studio 2013 that is designed to run on Windows XP, but you cannot install or run Visual Studio 2013 on it.

Visual Studio 2010 is the latest version of Visual Studio that will install on Windows XP. "it stalls" doesn't give much more to work with as to why it's not installing for you.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.
The piratical solution would be for me to develop some code in Windows 7 or 10 and then put the code on my Windows XP system.
Mab I could try  an older version?  I might have a 2005 in my junk box.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
2010 Installed fine for me on Windows XP. I expect it would require Service Pack 2.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
As far as older versions. Microsoft removed the ability to get legacy versions direct from them and they push people to use the latest and they have the community free edition kind of hidden in an attempt to get people to buy the professional edition. This link is where you will end up when looking for it at their site direct. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/visualstudio?

I have a book that is for Visual Studio Express 2008 and the DVD in the back of the book is where I got my offline installer edition of 2008 from. If you have any books for 2005 that have a disc in the back of them you might find it on there. Usually I am bad at putting the discs back into the back page sleeve of books and I lucked out the day that i needed 2008.

This link here is the path to the free community edition, but its the latest editions and not the legacy.
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

This book here is where I got my 2008 offline installer Visual Studio 2008 Express edition from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Build-A-Program-Now-Microsoft-Visual-C-2008-Express-Edition-with-Disc-NEW/263243797958?epid=1603102699&hash=item3d4a8d95c6:g:FG4AAOSwR29ZG8x0

Looking on ebay there is a 2005 edition of the book that i have that might have Visual Studio 2005 Express on its disc that comes with book. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Visual-C-2005-Build-a-Program-Now-by-Patrice-Pelland/142184137651?epid=47767230&hash=item211ad5c3b3:g:NCYAAOSwH3haERnR

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
It sounds like Geek already has the install media for the previous releases to me. The 2010 that they have should be able to install, too, and I expect what might be causing it to "stall" may very well affect attempts to install 2008,2005, or 2003.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »
It sounds like Geek already has the install media for the previous releases to me. The 2010 that they have should be able to install, too, and I expect what might be causing it to "stall" may very well affect attempts to install 2008,2005, or 2003.
Yes, that would make sense. I will go dig up another install of XP and see if that matters. I think something has happened to my current install of XP that blocks the setup of Visual Express from the CD. I will come bank later after I do an experiment.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:43:15 AM »
OK, I was wrong. Visual Studio 2010 install on Windows XP SP3 with updates.
I just tried it on a install of XP SP3 that I had done a few weeks ago. The only issue was a hardware error with my DVD drive. After doing a workaround, Vistula Studio 2010 installed nicely.

Thanks for your  suggestions.  :)

EDIT: For any newbies out there, Visual Studio is great for students who want to explore the prospect to becoming a computer programmer. The Internet has lots of free tutorials for the different parts of the free Microsoft package.  It is not limited to just Windows. The current version can do some things for Android and  Linux.
Look here:
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-compatibility-vs
    Developing apps for Windows
    Developing apps for Android
    Developing apps for iOS
    Developing apps for Linux
    Developing apps for macOS
    Developing apps for other technologies and platforms
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:55:31 AM by Geek-9pm »