Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 installation  (Read 3223 times)

sera

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows 7 installation
    « on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:17 AM »
    Hi,

I need to reinstall Win 7 on drive that has old installation, but as accidentally delete boot file, it won't load. I have copied user data using another PC , so won't lose anything.

When I load installation disc with boot drive connected,
    Win 7 disc will only progress to the installation screen if the boot drive is NOT plugged in.
    This leaves me in pickle as need disc to reinstall on boot drive, but disc won't load up with boot drive connected.

It gets to the Windows splash screen, then stops.

Im aware that win disc takes long time to load up; but when the boot drive is disconnected, the splash screen has multi coloured rotating balls that signals progress.

Not sure how to proceed at this point.

Thanks Nick

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows 7 installation
      « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
      It appears the computer is booting from the hard drive not the install media.

Could you give some details of the computer so we can explain how to get it to boot from the  installation disc .

sera

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
        Hi,

Selected in bios to boot from dvd. It does up to the point where the Windows logo  appears with black background, then goes no further beyond this.

If boot drive is disconnected, ie, no hard drives connected, then loads through to installation screen.

Could existing os on this drive interfere with optical disc installation ? Even though it is missing boot driver file.

Should I format this drive to rule out possibility?

Also, I have ext HDD attached to machine, but it has only data, music, etc.

Thanks nick

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »
          Thanks for the info,
          You should disconnect the USB drive while you install windows. This is the most likely cause of windows not installing.

********If it still doesn't install.***********
          You shouldn't need to format the drive. Windows as part of the install gives you the option to format.  If you have another way to format the drive it can't hurt.

Is the hard drive 2 TB in size or less? 

If the install still stops then there is another problem in the computer like a memory fault or the hard drive has errors. Most likely hard drive errors from what you have said.

If you have another known prefect hard drive even a small one I would try the installing to it.

Please keep up the info and I will reply asap 

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
            « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »

If the install still stops then there is another problem in the computer like a memory fault or the hard drive has errors. Most likely hard drive errors from what you have said.

If you have another known prefect hard drive even a small one I would try the installing to it.

Please keep up the info and I will reply asap

Please disregard the words in red from the above post. With what you have said it won't be a memory fault .

sera

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »
              Thanks for reply and apologies for late response.

I disconnected the external hard drive and it still doesn't work. So my next step is to format the hard drive - I've already backed up data - to see if this works.

The external hard drive is 1tb. I do have another drive I could try, but boot drive quite new and in good health, afaik.

If still not, then to computer shop I go.

Cheers Nick