Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to connect to internet with phone using computer with internet access  (Read 5314 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Can one connect to internet with phone thru computer with internet access using usb cable and I use LG optimus zone 3 phone?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    What you want is often be called 'Tethering'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering
    Here is a general answer.
    There are three ways to use a phone to connect a computer to the Internet. All three methods require the phone to be more that just a simple phone. I shouod be a modern smartphone with suitable OS and hardware.You can connect by:
    - using a Bluetooth connection from phone to PC
    - using a USB from phone to PC
    - using the phone as a 'hot spot' and connecting to the PC via Wi-Fi.
    More more information, go to the Google Play store and look for
    Hot Spot
    USB Tethering
    Bluetooth Tethering
    Examples:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mkdev.usbtethering2&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wifi.hotspot&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.aynari.app.bluetoothtethering&hl=en
    Similar things can be done with the Apple iPhone.
    Apple owners look at this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203302
    With a Personal Hotspot, you can share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular). If you need help with Personal Hotspot on an iOS device, follow these steps.

IMO the Bluetooth tether has to be the most innovative. I have used it and found it  to be very good  8)

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    I think the OP wants to do the opposite Geek, connect the phone to the internet via the computer. 

The easiest way to do it would be to create a wifi hotspot on the computer and then connect the phone via wifi.  To do that would require that the computer have wifi capabilities.  In order to tether the phone using a USB cable, you need to use an app that is designed for tablets to connect to phones such as "EasyTether Tablet" which you can find in the Google Play store.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=easytether.tablet&hl=en

DaveLembke

Sage
    +1 to Strollin's Computer Wifi Gateway method if adding a wireless access point for wifi direct from internet connection is out of the picture. Such as if a laptop had a 3 or 4G connection and you wanted to share the internet connection with other devices, then adding a wireless adapter and setting up the computer to share as a gateway connection could be done.

If you have ability to add a wireless access point or wireless router, then doing that would be a better solution, but i am guessing thats not an option and instead need to set up internet connection sharing through the PC and a wireless NIC. The computer would need 2 network adapters last I knew. One that connects to the internet and the other to connect to other devices with the computer acting as the gateway.

I havent messed with setting anything like this up since Windows XP and connecting a single computer to a dial-up connection and sharing that internet connection over Cat5 100mbps peer to peer network with another computer as a gateway connection many years ago when dial-up was all my area had 16 years ago and both my wife and I wanted internet connection without the cost of adding another phone line and paying for another AOL account. When one or other was bringing up a web page it wasnt that bad. But when both were bringing up webpages at the same time it was slower through the dial-up straw connection to the WWW river of data.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    I just go to the coffee shop....or the Pub... 8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
       Another way would need adapter to connect cat 5 cable with internet to smartphone if possible

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Another way would need adapter to connect cat 5 cable with internet to smartphone if possible
      Here is a video...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisnj8Xufp0

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        I'm gonna try that

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        Can one connect to internet with phone thru computer with internet access using usb cable and I use LG optimus zone 3 phone?
        Just wondering, why do this?  Why not just use the computer for your internet access?

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        Just wondering, why do this?  Why not just use the computer for your internet access?
        My guess is that the phone has very low data allowance and the OP wants to transfer files to or from it.

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          Re: how to connect to internet with phone using computer with internet access
          « Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:51:48 AM »
          I do not have no plan for my smartphone only can use it in towns where there is free wifi sometimes something needs to be done on smart phone only this should work good in about a month when adapter comes from china will give it a try.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
          What exactly has to be done on the smartphone ? ?

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:19 AM »
            Sometimes they want you to do a survey on a smart phone if you use any thing else they seem to know it is not a smart phone, I would think it is same as computer I have seen where they know what operating system I am using and browser.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »
            This is all to do an online survey ? ?...for what ?

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »
              Lots of places do surveys just type in best places to do surveys at home, have been a member of AC Nielsen since 1993 back then some surveys were still sent out on paper now it's all computer.