Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to get files off internal sata drive  (Read 2729 times)

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

Need to get files off internal sata drive
    « on: January 21, 2018, 04:44:56 AM »
    Hi,

I have an old computer I want to get some old pictures off.

The computer started, crackled, smelt funny and now won't start.

I only have a macbook pro now, is there a way to connect a sata internal drive to it without taking it apart? Like a sata to usb/firewire adapater or something?

I'll also have to power the hard drive somehow wouldn't I?

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need to get files off internal sata drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:12 AM »
    You can buy an empty external hard drive enclosure and place your drive into it, then as long as the hard drive is healthy and not encrypted then you will have access to your data again by connecting this to a healthy computer to access files from.

They also sell drive docks if you don't want to permanently install into a case which can take 2 or more drives. Price tag is between $20 and $50.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
    Alternitavely you can remove the HDD from it's enclosure and connect it internally in any Desktop PC to retrieve data...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
      You can buy an empty external hard drive enclosure and place your drive into it, then as long as the hard drive is healthy and not encrypted then you will have access to your data again by connecting this to a healthy computer to access files from.

They also sell drive docks if you don't want to permanently install into a case which can take 2 or more drives. Price tag is between $20 and $50.

Great idea, thanks!

Would something like this work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-2-5-HDD-Enclosure-USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Black-Caddy-Case-for-Laptop-PC/142465923147?epid=1894814744&hash=item212ba1784b:g:~pQAAOSwH1NZhG9T

It says the USB would power it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »
      You are better off with one that uses A/C power...price difference is nuttin...

And my apologies...i read so fast i missed it was already an internal... :P
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
      +1 to Patio's suggestion to get one that comes with its own power supply as for you can run into USB power problems with the ones that are powered direct from USB.

One big detail I forgot to mention and looking at your link made me remember to mention this... but if the hard drive is a 3.5" drive such as from a desktop computer you will need a 3.5" enclosure. The enclosures that are 2.5" are for hard drives that come mostly from laptops. Very few desktop computers use 2.5" drives. If your unsure if its a 2.5" or 3.5" drive all you need is make/model number of the old computer it came from and look up the specs on it. If its a desktop computer though its almost always 3.5" vs 2.5" unless its a slim space saving desktop computer or a desktop computer that has a SSD drive in which the SSD drives are 2.5"

If going with a dock instead of enclosure I shared info on that too...
      I have a SATA USB Hard drive docking station like this one that accepts all SATA drives 2.5 and 3.5" This is a single drive type, mine is next model up same brand thermaltake that holds 2 drives. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermaltake-Sata-HDD-USB-Docking-Station-USB-2-0-Single-Bay/162837336883?epid=2254453721&hash=item25e9dc9333:g:8BAAAOSw3EVaT7aw

Term_ite

Beginner
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
        You might also try Digikey. They ship worldwide. I would suggest this. See attached file.
        https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=U338-06N-ND

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]