Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a new HP printer that is compatible with XP  (Read 19392 times)

Jacksonrob

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need a new HP printer that is compatible with XP
    « on: January 25, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
    My wife and I are not online. We simply use our computer as a type writer and information storage.
    The operating system is Windows xp.
    Our printer has gone out and I am trying to buy a new HP all in one to replace it.
    None of the new printers on the market indicate that they are compatible with XP.
    Does anyone know if they will work even though XP isn't listed?
    If so, will the install disk that comes with it work ok?
    Thank you!
    BJ

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need a new HP printer that is compatible with XP
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
    I wouldnt buy a printer unless there is driver support.

You might find yourself either having to buy an older model online such as off of ebay or amazon which is compatible or buy a newer computer.

I have a HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one and it is Windows XP compatible. This printer is about 9 years old and continues to work, but the ink is kind of pricey so I dont print much with it.

If you dont need color printing i would suggest a laserjet printer which would be cheaper to print with and if your like me and print on occasion but not all the time, then you dont have to worry about ink cartridges drying up with toner. I print these days through a laserjet to save money and not have to deal with ink that drys up when not used often.

If there are any second hand stores in your area maybe you can buy a good used inkjet or laserjet that will work with XP and not cost that much.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
    Many HP printers have XP. However, it may not be advertised.
    Here are some older models that might be discontinued.

The 8HP 610 has a SRP of about $249, but on sale it is about $99 or less.
    https://www.staples.com/hp-officejet-pro-e-all-in-one-printer-8610-discontinued-by-manufacturer/product_159212
    You can find eBay vendors that sell it  refurbished one with warranty.
    But you might prefer Best Buy. Thy may have a store near you.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=HP+officejet+pro+8610+wireless+printer
    I recommend you get extra cartridges at the time purchase.
    My HP 8610 has served me almost three years. Now it is gone. It did a fair job.

My use was rather intense. I have lo vision, so I would print my study materials in large print every week using the duplex mode to save paper. I did an average of about five sheets per day.

It was used  on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 . It would update the drives automatically as needed.   8)

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
    @BJ,
    just throwing it out there, before you spend $100'ish dollars on a new printer.

you are know starting to see how still running XP is, and will continue to, bite you on the backside.
    eventually your hand may be forced, today it's your printer, who knows what next month may bring.

there will come an event where you have to update/replace that PC, is it worth considering that option now???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
    If the OP can  move up e to Windows 7 he will have more options for support.

The HP 8610 and its siblings have drivers for a wide range of OS. Linux, Mac OS and most windows.  From server 2003 up  to Windows 10 64 bit.

However, Windows XP 64 bit is missing.  :(

Jacksonrob

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
      I thank every one of you for your input. All will be considered. Since we use our computer as mainly a data storage for accounts, investments, serial #'s, VIN #'s and tax forms I was trying to avoid buying a new computer. (I do have everything copied to usb memory sticks)
      I am not totally against buying a brand new computer, it's just since this one is still functioning perfectly, and I am thrifty (cheap) LOL.
      Again, I thank every one of you for your input. We will explore all of these options now that we have some reliable information.
      You all are awesome !!!!
      BJ 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
      If yhou can forget about HP, you can get a good cheap printer from Epsom. The Epson 545 works great on Windows XP. Just a bit slow.
      The Epson 545 price is about $50 because it is being discounted. Epson will stop making it, but still supply ink. For modest use it is a great choice. Yes, I have one. It is my backup when the HP  fails.