Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows to go  (Read 2711 times)

geno112

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • i'm still learning
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
windows to go
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
windows updates can not be installed because windows thinks it's a windows to go machine . it is not . this problem popped up recently after an windows 10 update . i'm so frustrated that i just want to use my recovery disks and start over . windows won't let me . there was a fix using regedit but the value to be deleted was not found . another fix , making the disk partition active won't work . and of course i can't just reformat the disk  . any ideas ?

i have a HP DV6 7014 .

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows to go
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
it sounds like you are intent of wiping and starting from scratch.
if so, use the Media Creation Tool and make yourself a bootable USB or DVD image.
then use that to reload Windows 10.
that will give you the 1709 version (the latest Creators Update) and 16299.15 build, then you'll need to do some Windows Updates to get to the latest 16299.192 build.

all the things you have tried and failed, have there been reasons for the failures, like error messages etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: windows to go
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
If it were me, I would install a fresh copy on a spare hard drive. Later I wold think about how to repair the original.

You can install Windows 10 on even a 40GB hard drive. Most desktop swill let you slave another drive. That way you can get your data.