Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WD External HDD 1 TB not showing nor working at all after turning off PC  (Read 2844 times)

IBrokeMyHDD

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My Specs:

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor

Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 16299), 64-bit

I've been trying to fix this problem for a week now and I honestly don't know what else to do.

So far this is all the info I've got and everything I've tried, hope it's some use:

External HDD works fine on any other computer except this one
    Other WD External HDD don't work either on this computer
    I've tried uninstalling all the drivers and downloading them again, with no change whatsoever
    WD Drive shows up as Read-Only on the WD Driver Hub, and tells me I should format it, but when I tried to use WD Driver Utilities to do just that it would fail with this message: "An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid."
    When opened, disk management ask me if I want to initialise the disk, but when prompt to it fails and says: The Request Failed Due To A Fatal Device Hardware Error.
    The External HDD shows up as My Passport without the name I gave it(which does show up when plugged into other computers) and with 0 bytes
    I do not have anything important inside the drive, I've already formatted the external HDD in NTFS just to be sure, nothing changed
    This issue caused me so much frustration that I ended up restarting my entire PC to factory setting... which didn't help at all
    Cause of the Issue:

I was playing The Surge from the WD External HDD when the game crashed so I turned off the computer, but when it took too long to close I just pressed the button and put my PC out of its misery. Which I extremely regret now, since it hasn't worked in this specific PC since then

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Salmon Trout

Re: WD External HDD 1 TB not showing nor working at all after turning off PC
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:02 AM »
    I was playing The Surge from the WD External HDD when the game crashed so I turned off the computer, but when it took too long to close I just pressed the button and put my PC out of its misery. Which I extremely regret now, since it hasn't worked in this specific PC since then

I think maybe the game crashed because the disk was failing.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: WD External HDD 1 TB not showing nor working at all after turning off PC
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
    My WD Passport did the same sort of thing.  Different indications on different machines,  It finally failed completely.   Got a WD Elements, same thing, shorter warranty, less expensive.