Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cyber attak - Europe ^ USA  (Read 8418 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Cyber attak - Europe ^ USA
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
Major media reports:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/hackers-strike-europe-sparking-widespread-disruption-48301067
New cyberattack wallops Europe; spreads more slowly in US

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40416611
Global ransomware attack causes turmoil

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/27/technology/hacking-petya-europe-ukraine-wpp-rosneft/index.html
Another big malware attack ripples across the world
Many firms, including Symantec, have suggested the ransomware is a variant of Petya, a known ransomware. But according to security firm Kaspersky Lab, preliminary findings indicate the attacks are from a new ransomware that it's now calling "ExPetr."
Either way, researchers say Tuesday's attacks use a Windows flaw called EternalBlue to spread through corporate networks. WannaCry also leveraged the EternalBlue exploit, which was leaked as part of a trove of hacking tools believed to belong to the NSA. Microsoft (MSFT, Tech30) issued a patches for the exploits in March.

Hackoo

Hopeful

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Cyber attak - Europe ^ USA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:33 AM »
Bitdefender has identified a massive ransomware campaign that is currently unfolding worldwide. Preliminary information shows that the malware sample responsible for the infection is an almost identical clone of the GoldenEye ransomware family. At the time of writing this there is no information about propagation vector but we presume it to be carried by a wormable component.
Unlike most ramsonware, the new GoldenEye variant has two layers of encryption: one that individually encrypts target files on the computer and another one that encrypts NTFS structures. This approach prevents victims computers from being booted up in a live OS environment and retreiving stored information or samples.
From the link   above linkPosted by  Hackoo
https://labs.bitdefender.com/2017/06/massive-goldeneye-ransomware-campaign-slams-worldwide-users/?icid=overlaycall-pagesgoldeneye

JockB

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »
This has been a problem for quite some time, and its just gonna grow, recently I read that more and more Ransomware codes is turning into ranosmware-as-a-service. The Europe alone has lost millions of dollars due to the attacks, ergo the new regulations. The massive increase in ransomware families just shows another one recently described as Rapid ransomware. Truth be told its just gonna expand. And it apparently starts with small and medium businesses using them as a tunnel to reach major companies through supply chains.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:29 PM »
JockB,
When criminals go unpunished, they just get more bolder in their crimes.
I will refrain from citing any sources. It should be self-apparent.  8)

Some proverbs or sayings about crime:

In times of trouble leniency becomes crime. ~ Traditional Proverb

Commit a sin twice and it will not seem a crime. ~ Jewish Proverb

It’s a crime if you get caught. ~ Russian Proverbs

Great thieves punish little ones. ~ Author Unknown

Crime expands according to our willingness to put up with it. ~ Barry J. Farber

Still, the Internet now a social amplifier that makes crime and even larger problem that what anybody would  have foreknown.   :(

Here is a breaking news story:
 https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/albanian-sought-us-arrested-cybercrime-market-probe-53026559
Ymeraj is among 36 people who have been indicted in the U.S. for allegedly being part of the Infraud Organization. The U.S. Justice Department alleges the organization was an online forum where stolen credit card numbers, bank account data and other personal information were sold and purchased.
Please tell me it is not true.    :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »
I don't think the Internet - or Computers, for that matter- has realistically made Crime any worse. It's just a different venue.

In some aspect I'd even argue that it's had a positive effect, As with many crimes it leaves an "audit trail" that can be used to put together illegal activities.

Outside ransomware and scams and fraud, There are far more serious crimes, and I think the Internet has helped with some of that. Where 30 years ago a pedophile could kidnap a kid, do god knows what, then murder them and you *might* hear about it on the local news, Now these weirdo's share their disgusting pictures with other weirdo's and law enforcement can act quickly enough to piece together locations before that happens. Meanwhile evening news never covers that unless it goes awry, so they are thankfully usually left with stories where some guy walked through a playground as a shortcut and they have to interview all the parents who say "Oh no doubt in my mind he wanted to kidnap our kids" or they bring on experts to talk about it at length. And the "expert" looks like he might understand the mind of a pedophile all too well, sort of like how news channels sometimes bring on nutritionists who talk about healthy eating and you can't help but notice they need two chairs.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.