Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot update anti-virus (or even access website?)  (Read 2170 times)

Sijo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Cannot update anti-virus (or even access website?)
    « on: January 30, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
    Ever since last night, my Avira antivirus has failed to update every 2 hours like its supposed to. I thought the server was down, but today when I checked, it wasn't. Even stranger, I tried going to their site and could not! On my computer anyway; I ran Malwarebytes but found no viruses.

I was able to access the site via my phone and found a few options. One was deleting a file that might be locked waiting for a reboot; another was reinstalling the program. I chose the latter, but since I had no access to the official site I got it from Cnet.

I have by now uninstalled Avira and am currently installing it again. I hope? It seems to have stopped at 75%.

I also called customer Service (on my phone) and has passed on to a technician who had me download something called Supremo. exe. Suddenly realizing that might be a trick, I stopped the download and ended the call. Yeah I'm getting paranoid by now.

For the record, in addition to Malwarebytes I have Windows Defender, so I might not need Avira at all. So, my questions are:
    *have I handled things well or have I screwed up?
    *what could be going on and how can it be fixed?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Cannot update anti-virus (or even access website?)
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
    if you have Windows 10 build 1703 or higher, the inbuilt Defender is all you need for AV.
    check out this AV comparative site for ranking of Defender against the others; https://www.av-comparatives.org/

Sijo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
      OK reinstalling Avira (and getting a new account) seems to have fixed the problem.

However my PC now freezes from time to time. Turning it off and on fixes this, but its a nuisance. (Not sure if I should continue here or treat this as a separate topic; if so let me know.)

I'm almost sure all these problems were caused by an unannounced Windows update last Saturday (possibly compounded by my restarting the PC to try to 'fix' the 'problem'.)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
      DLoad install and run SpeedFan...it checks your Temps...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:27 PM »
        Windows 10 seems to have problems when you use another antivirus other than windows defender after the Creators update. As has been suggested above, try running just with Windows Defender to confirm it is Avira.

Here is a Safe Link to information about resetting Windows 10 options after the update. 
        https://appuals.com/third-party-apps-stopped-working-after-creators-update/

Supremo is a remote desktop application which you should only install if you are requested to do so by a trusted service provider.