Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard issue..  (Read 2225 times)

Janah

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
    Keyboard issue..
    « on: February 04, 2018, 05:34:50 AM »
    So i recently noticed that either Left or Right shift have stopped working with the "m" key. They work with every other key. When i try using shift+m it just doesnt type anything, no matter what program im typing in. Anyone know whats wrong?

I do on the other hand get a capital "M" when i use caps lock..

another thing to add is that the m dont work when im playing a game , say im holding down the movement keys while i walk in a game , and then im trying to click m to get up the map while walking , that does not work either , i have to stop using any other keys on the keyboard then click m and the map comes up, so the m key dont seen to want to work while i hold down any other keys while in game either.

Janah

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Keyboard issue..
      « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:20 AM »
      Update : if i tap both shift and m very fast at the same time it does all of a sudden type the m in capital letters , but only when i tap both of them multiple times like a machine gun .... very strange

mMMMMMMMMMmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmMmmmmmmM MMMMMmmMMMMMMMMmMMMMmmMM

thats the only way im able to get capital m , anyone know whats up ?

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
      What type of keyboard is it?  My guess is that the keyboard is simply experiencing a failure and probably needs to be replaced. 

My experience is that the average keyboard today doesn't last very long as they are made with extremely low cost components.  However, there are higher end keyboards available , made with better quality components, that will last a long time.  I personally have an IBM Model M keyboard that I've had since 1986 that's used daily and still works like new.

Janah

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
        Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
        !0 years old...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:07 AM »
        If you love that specific keyboard and want one just like it you might be able to find a same or similar replacement online for sale. I check amazon and ebay for stuff that I want that is obsolete. And prefer amazon over ebay for buying obsolete new and used stuff.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
        Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop
        I had one of those 9 and a half years ago. My wife made me change to a normal keyboard.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
        I personally have an IBM Model M keyboard that I've had since 1986 that's used daily and still works like new.

My wife made me get rid of one of these too... the noise when typing. Best keyboard I ever had. Came with a used IBM Personal System/2 machine. They now sell on Ebay for more than the whole system cost me in 1999. The black ones look really cool.

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
        @Salmon - I got my Model M with an IBM XT286 computer back in 1986.  I don't have the computer anymore but still have the keyboard! 

Unicomp acquired all the rights to the Model M and has been manufacturing them for quite a few years.  You can buy the latest version of the Model M here: https://www.pckeyboard.com/

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
        Pretty slik selection of replacement buttons too...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
        I have experience with the Unicomp version of the Model M and can just say that they almost certainly do not stack up to the originals. Unicomp unfortunately is a very small company so doesn't have a lot of resources. Unfortunately this shows in the ancient moulds they use which give a rather weird effect to the plastic of many of their keyboard models. If that wasn't enough, Their cords have zero stress relief and have serious connectivity issues. My First purchase got more and more finicky about the USB cord until it outright stopped appearing  within a year (of course if I fiddled with the cord I could get a PC to make USB conmnect and disconnect sounds but it never stayed connected). By the end, even if I was careful and got it in just the perfect spot- half the keys wouldn't do anything. Unicomp was thankfully kind enough to send a replacement cord but apparently there was something else wrong with the keyboard because it still failed to be detected. Against my better judgement I actually ended up getting a second keyboard altogether. I thought perhaps my experience had been a fluke.

If so then I had two in a row. The second one I purchased- a different model, no less- started having the same issues about 3 or 4 months in.

I gave up on them when that same keyboard started exhibiting the same issues. a $140 keyboard should not have less reliable wiring and connectivity than a 14$ logitech! I ended up switching to a Corsair keyboard. it doesn't have buckling springs, sadly, but A buckling spring keyboard is useless if it doesn't actually connect, and I make heavy use of the Windows and Application Keys so one of the older Model M's wouldn't be suitable for me on a Windows PC- Not that they are particularly affordable either.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 06:18:44 AM »
        That's sad to hear.  I've never purchased a Unicomp keyboard but thought I might someday when my original Model M needs to be replaced.  I thought they were og higher quality (like the IBM models).  Oh well, guess my Model M will just have to keep working until I don't need it any longer!