Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what can i do to make my computer take 5.0ghz wifi instead of 2.4?  (Read 2074 times)

leesteven224

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    hi, I don't even know if I'm posting on the right place but I have a problem that I cant figure out. I had to get a replacement computer and its a really bad one. my old computer let me connect to the 5.0 ghz wifi at my house but now only the 2.4 shows up. in properties it says 802.11 bgn whatever that means. So is there a way to get 5.0 ghz on my computer like an adapter perhaps? thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: what can i do to make my computer take 5.0ghz wifi instead of 2.4?
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
    Adding a dual-band network adapter would be my suggestion such as using a device like this one here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XM-0076-000D7&cm_re=Wireless_5Ghz-_-0XM-0076-000D7-_-Product

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: what can i do to make my computer take 5.0ghz wifi instead of 2.4?
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
    What Dave said.  The wifi adapter you have in your current computer only supports 2.4Ghz so if you want it to support 5Ghz you will need to replace the wifi adapter with one that does.