Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Workstation operational hour odometer  (Read 2217 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Workstation operational hour odometer
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
While most clean out the dust etc on their computers on a interval basis of say every 3 months etc, I was asked if there was a way to determine which computers were used from those that havent been used, so that only computers that were used for an X-many hours be targeted for cleaning vs ALL = hundreds of them.

I know that a hard drive contains run hour information as part of its SMART data which could be used, but that would require manually visiting each computer to poll the hard drive for its run hours, and if your already there doing that you might as well be blowing out the dust etc. I dont know of any program that can remotely get smart data from a fleet of systems over the network and use this hour value from each system with system name as a means to collect and keep track of what computers are used more than others and which ones need frequent cleaning while others might be able to go 6 months or longer without getting blown out because if the system is off or sleeping the fans aren't spinning to act like a PC vacuum cleaner with the inside of the case act like as the bag collecting the dust.

When the workstations are not used for 15 minutes they go into a sleep mode, so they are always powered but in sleep mode fans stop spinning so its pretty much the same as an off state.

I was thinking of implementing my own solution but my skills are limited and a console window would be up as a computer use odometer if I wrote something to do this as for I have never written a program to act as a service before hidden.

So Figured I would check to see if anyone knows of any free or low cost software that is able to keep track of run hours for workstations as an hourly odometer or if I will have to look for a way to make my own service that writes to a text file that can be accessed through a share from anywhere on network and see what systems need to be cleaned vs others that can be skipped.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Workstation operational hour odometer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
I found this from a search and thought it might be worth your time to take a look at: https://www.neuber.com/free/pctime/

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
Sweet!   Thanks Soybean  8)

From description it looks exactly like what can be used to keep track of usage activity. And even though only last 3 weeks seems to be the limit for logging activity, that should be plenty enough to know the heavily used systems from the others that are sleeping etc. I was impressed with the fact that this actually taps into information already readily available on the OS so it doesnt have to create its own records, so it doesnt need to run in the background as I had thought a service would have to run to be able to determine system usage.

This free time tracking tool shows the times your computer has been active during the last 3 weeks, with no previous setup required. The software doesn't need to run in the background, because Windows OS tracks logon and logoff/standby times (working hours) by default, and the program analyses it.

PC On/Off Time is Freeware.
    Your working time is displayed graphically.
    PC On/Off Time also shows the working time of all computers on your network.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
Glad to hear it may serve your purpose.