Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help to quit Windows 10 insider program.  (Read 2926 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Need help to quit Windows 10 insider program.
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
From dictation.
It looks like I am at the point where  need to stop getting the Windows insider updates. I've had a catastrophic failure and was not able to repair my Windows 10 installation. Rather than restoring it from a backup, I opted to just install it all over again and install my favorite programs again.
Here is where you can help me. It is time for me to quit the insider program. It is just too much for me to keep up on which update did which thing and how to go roll it back.
Here is the name of the file that I used to install Windows 10 on my Dell computer.

Windows10_InsiderPreview_x32_en-us_17025.iso

So, what is the proper procedure to go into my Microsoft account and indicate that I do not want to have any more insider updates unless it is something that I really ought to have. It takes just too much of my time to try to roll things back or recover from a backup whenever something goes wrong. The last catastrophe set my computer into an endless loop where there was no way to  repair it. Even with the USB device I was not able to do a repair of the Windows 10 installation on the computer. So that is why I opted to just wipe the partition and start over again.
As much as I like to experiment with things, it's time for me to act like I really am 79 years old. About twenty years ago I could do this stuff.
Thank you for any suggestions.
End of dictation.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Need help to quit Windows 10 insider program.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
Settings, Updates and Security, then "Windows Insider Program" in the left-hand navigation menu, then the "Stop Preview Builds" button.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Need help to quit Windows 10 insider program.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Settings, Updates and Security, then "Windows Insider Program" in the left-hand navigation menu, then the "Stop Preview Builds" button.
Thanks, This what is needed. But first, it is time to restore from backup. It is too unstable to do anything at all.
Oddly, the issue impacts my Windows 7 installation. Which makes my think it might not be an update issue, but I have no  easy way to know.   :'(