Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: transfer full C drive to empty D drive  (Read 2709 times)

chrisc

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    transfer full C drive to empty D drive
    « on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:18 AM »
    Hi I've a Lenovo ideapad 100s my C drive is nearly full and updates can't download I fitted  ssd 120Gb D drive but all updates try to download to my full C drive can I alter this or transfer some date my system reserve takes 25Gb and I only have 3.8Gb spare would really appreciate any help I'm a novice cheers

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: transfer full C drive to empty D drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
    You may want to do some research on Disk imaging...copy/move is inviting disaster.

I use Acronis True image ...not Free...but i can also recommend Easus to do...which has a Free version.

Basically what you are doing is imaging an exact copy of your HDD with everything...and moving it to a larger HDD...

Let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
    BTW i would have gotten a 250G SSD minimum...120 gets eaten up real quick.
    Maybe you can return it and spend a bit more.

chrisc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
      Thanks for the help I've noticed my systems reserve is using 26GB of memory the HHD is only 28.8GB how can I reduce this cleaned up HHD but little or no difference why is it using so much any thoughts thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
      I had a system with a 90GB SSD that was running full and I wanted to redirect to my E: drive which was a 160GB HDD. A person here pointed me to using a symbolic link. This allowed me to make a link that acts like its on the C: drive, but all data was going to my E: drive. To all programs it looks like the path never changed. You can move whatever doesnt have to be at a C: path to your D: drive and then use a symbolic link to redirect the fixed path to the D: drive as if it was really at C:. This works really well and I essentially spanned my SSD to a HDD making 250GB of storage for C: when C: really is a 90GB SSD. This drive also can be accessed as your D: drive etc. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

*Since then i have used symbolic linking for my one laptop to span to the otherwise unused microSD port of my laptop to add 128GB storage to that and via symbolic linking it acts like its on the C: drive. I have been able to even get games to run on this space thinking that its the C: drive and not a SD Card.  ;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
      Thanks for the help I've noticed my systems reserve is using 26GB of memory the HHD is only 28.8GB how can I reduce this cleaned up HHD but little or no difference why is it using so much any thoughts thanks

You sure it's 26G ? ?...that sounds high....was Win installed more than once ?
      Since you are moving to a bigger HDD i would actually moving it as is...then when it's up and running stop back and we can clean out any unneeded data...

chrisc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:34:18 AM »
        Thanks for feedback guys will give it a try and let you know how I get on much appriciated

slack7639

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
          SyncBackFree - The best free Windows backup program on the planet . . . I use this to make a Mirror copy of a folder on my C: of all my files, onto two external hard drives (I highlight both drives, and it does both of them at once).  It has a default filter, and doesn't copy unnecessary things, like desktop.ini and thumbs.db.  At first, I deleted those, which makes it easier to verify that it copied everything . . . The Free version does not update case changes to file names or folders, which isn't a big deal, but after I used this for a while, I got the Pro version which does . . . https://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html