Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD ISO 7.1GB - MS VS2015 Community Edition  (Read 3330 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
DVD ISO 7.1GB - MS VS2015 Community Edition
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
Kind of confused with this one. I went to download Visual Studio Community Edition 2015 from Microsoft and there is an option for EXE or DVD ISO. Because I want the offline installer option I selected the DVD ISO. Well its 7.1GB in size.... so do I need to span this somehow to 2 DVD's or should I use some tool to just take everything out of the ISO and install from ISO contents outside of .ISO form?

ISO's normally fit within the media that they are labelled for. So this is weird to have DVD option but a single ISO that is 7.1GB

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: DVD ISO 7.1GB - MS VS2015 Community Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
I think it's because they have pretty much abandoned the CD/DVD formats and no longer pay attention to those size limits...

Throw it on a USB stik instead...

PS spanning always caused fits for me.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
The ISO is just a package these days. You could buy some dual layer DVDs, assuming your writer will handle them (most will, these days) or you can keep the ISO somewhere like a pen drive and mount it as a virtual optical drive or you could open the ISO (e.g. with 7zip) and coppy the whole shebang to a folder on a hard drive.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
COOL!   Thanks for the USB idea to send the ISO to USB stick. That I have done before with Linux distros that are various sizes and intended for USB.

I forgot about that option. Brain was stuck on DVD media  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
It's better when brain gets stuck on BBQ Ribs...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
You can make a bootable Gruub4DOS pen drive with a bunch of ISOs and a menu. If you use USB-3 drive and port you can get quite nice performance out of a Linux live CD, GParted, Macrium, Windows Rescue DISK, etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
My first thought was Dual-Layer DVD.

Even beyond that, there is Blu Ray- a Blu Ray Burner can burn ISO files to a Blu-Ray which means they can get to around 40GB and still be 'legitimate' for some form of Optical Media.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
An 8G usb stik is less than a blank blu-ray disk

Coco423

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
Occasionally I find single sets of one blank 25 GB blu-ray disc at my local dollar store. Not naming which one, as I do not know if you can on this site yet. Might want to check dollar store before buying 8GB usb drive. Also, if you get a usb drive, it would be ideal to get a 16 GB one for this file size as an 8 GB one will almost be conpletely full, possibly slow at setup of this ISO file or program.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:20 PM »
44.95$ for 25 here, or about 1.75$ each, 8GB USB Drive is around $8.99.

However a Blu Ray burner is necessary and most people don't have one which is why it is arguably not economical, as they are also quite expensive. (~$100)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »
I have a pile of various size USB sticks from very old 64MB to 1GB sticks all the way to 64GB in size. The small ones I still use for playing MP3's in my car but otherwise are pointless in such small capacity. The last USB stick I got was a 3-pack of 16GB sticks on sale for $15.00 so it worked out to $5 for 16GB or $15 for total combined capacity of 48GB.

I almost bought into the blu-ray drives to store larger amount of data in same physical area as what a DVD disc would use in my home, but in all actuality for the money an external hard drive can contain far more storage capacity on the cheap, so that 3TB seagate external for $129.99 makes more sense. The price of the drive and its discs kept me away from upgrading to blu-ray. Maybe if they marketed the blu-ray like they did the inkjet printers it would have been more successful to make drives cheaper to get and make up for the cost in a monopolized disc market where the more you burn with it the more they make similar to how the printers were the more you print with it the more ink used. The 25GB capacity per blu-ray disc was tempting but the price tag never came down to what I wanted when it was the next best thing. These days the price tag came down but the need for optical storage like that is gone for myself. Burning to DVD-R or +R disc's with 4.7GB capacity is most of the time plenty of space, and DVD drives are common so the media especially if DVD-R vs +R will work in just about any drive out there vs if I switched to blu-ray then i would need to either get an external blu-ray or install those drives into systems that need to be able to share discs.

It will be interesting if optical storage actually goes the path of holographic data storage for home computer use. Its available now if your rich, but its still far cheaper to just have an external hard drive with far more capacity as for the ones I have seen are less than 1TB and price tag of like $15,000 for the drive and $150 for each media that holds the data. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage

Thanks everyone for your input on this; and I was able to go the USB route to install from that and get VS 2015 Community edition installed using a 16GB USB stick that I already owned. I could have tried to squeeze it onto an 8GB stick which shows 7.2GB capacity but I had the 16GB kicking around so used that instead.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »
I got a Blu Ray Drive myself but the main reason was so I could play Blu-Ray Discs, The burning features were a separate "perk" I utilized later.

The EXE version of the installer will only download what you want to install- so where the ISO packs in pretty much everything that is part of the product, you might not want all of it. With 2017 they also reworked it so that the Installer doubled as an updater, which I've found convenient.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
I installed 2017 but the Head First 3rd edition C# book I am learning from was written with examples in 2013. Looking online people suggest using 2015 with this book. So I went the route of 2015. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920027812.do

Saw a few issues with people using this book with 2017, so going with 2015.
https://www.reddit.com/r/csharp/comments/64omjw/head_first_c_third_edition_and_visual_studio_2017/