Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Use System Restore  (Read 2828 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Can't Use System Restore
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
I set a restore point last night before reinstalling Office.

I instantly started having issues with a site in IE that uses Java.

Can't imagine how the Office reinstall could have an impact, but after fiddling with a few things (including installing and running MalwareBytes), figured I'd roll back and see what happens.

Then the fun started.

After System Restore ran, it gave me an error message:
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x800700005)

You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

OK, so I:
  • Disabled Malware Bytes and tried again
  • Uninstalled Malware Bytes and tried again
  • Tried an earlier Restore point
  • Went into services.msc - Started "Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler & Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider Service" and set it to Automatic Startup and tried again (from Googling the error code)
The only AV running is Windows Defender - and it doesn't seem like there's a good way to turn that off, at least one that isn't more dangerous to long-term stability. (I have used System Restore dozens of times on this machine, with Windows Defender on, anyway.)

What can I do to get out of this, and get System Restore back to normal functionality, before this spirals away from me?

Windows is up-to-date - 10 Pro Version 1709 Build 16299.192
On a MSFT Surface Pro 4

As always....
Thank you.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can't Use System Restore
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
    Have you tried running System Restore from Advanced Startup?

Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart Now.

At "Choose an Option", select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> System Restore.

Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »
    I had not.

Will try and report back tonight!

Thanks
    Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
    Is thnis Surface Pro still in warranty?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:59 PM »
    Is thnis Surface Pro still in warranty?
    Don't know. Since this is a newly-occurring problem, I'm sure there's a fix to be made rather than throwing in the towel so quickly.

At "Choose an Option", select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> System Restore.
    Well it sure took me a while to dig out my BitLocker key! Took me longer to type it than it took for the PC to come back and say, "There are no Restore Points."

Hm.

Don't have time to work on it tonight anymore, but will attack it Sunday afternoon - if I don't get distracted by Tom Brady's soulful, piercing stare....

Ooooh... Tommy.....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
    It is in  your best interest to use the warranty.
    About six months ago:

Leaked Memo Reveals Substantial Microsoft Surface Book Returns

Longtime Microsoft reporter Paul Thurrott on Sunday published a memo that he says, was sent internally at Microsoft. The memo, which was leaked to Thurrott by an unidentified source, says Microsoft’s Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 suffered from “some quality issues” that have since been addressed in subsequent updates.
    Microsoft admits they have been having issues with Surface Pro 4. So you should consider a factory repair. Store your data on a flash drive beforehand.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »

So I did that, and it came back and said "No Restore Point available," which was odd - because I had made some.

I created a new Restore point and let it sit for a few days, and tried to do another "normal" Restore (I had two Points from which to choose - the one I created, and one that Windows created during a recent update) and got the same error message as in the OP.

So I tried Advanced again and got the same results. I checked under "normal" Restore to see what was offered, and it only offered to Undo a recent Restore - the one I ran earlier today, the one before trying Advanced. After I hit cancel,  I then received the same error message as in the OP.

Ergh.