Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New RAM not being recognised by Gigabyte Motherboard  (Read 3281 times)

VivaLaJam26

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New RAM not being recognised by Gigabyte Motherboard
    « on: February 10, 2018, 03:11:04 AM »
    I've had my PC since 2015. The machine has been great, but sluggish recently with things like Photoshop, so I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16GB to 32GB.

I've installed the new RAM and run into a lot of issues, listed below. I'm not really too familiar when it comes to the technical side of computing, so my knowledge is quite limited.

Issue:
    • Installed two new 8GB sticks and getting "installed RAM: 24GB (16GB usable).
    • All 4 sticks in my machine are 8GB each (should be a total of 32GB). So the Computer is cutting two of the sticks in half in terms of RAM.
    • BIOS doesn't seem to have the option to access the RAM/Memory area to make amends (mentioned in trouble shooting).
    • Can't update BIOS as it's already up to date (according to Gigabyte site with the last update being 2013).
    • This was before trying new RAM. The computer randomly restarts. No notification from Windows before hand, it just shuts down and boots back up. (plugged directly into the mains rather then a multiplug).

Hardware & OS
    • MOBOS: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev5.0)
    • CURRENT RAM: Corsair DDR3 16GB (2x8GB)
    • New RAM:Ballistix Tactical 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 UDIMM (recommended by Crucial scan)
    • Processor: AMD FX-6350 Six core Processor 3.90Ghz

Already tried Troubleshooting options
    • I've tried sorting it out through boot (msconfig > boot > advanced options) and unchecked the "Maximum Memory" option.
    • I've tried the new sticks by themselves without the old RAM and it's saying they are 8GB each (16GB in total).
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvI4ZIgTmoI&t=1s This is the BIOs Screen that comes up and I can't seem to find options mentioned in other sites on there (such as this one here
    • I've been trying to install the Gigabyte UEFI as well, but can't seem to find out how to actually download or install it.
    • I've tried the new RAM separately, and both sticks are telling me they are 8GB each, along with a combination of the old.
    • They have also been positioned in the correct ports (new in 1 & 3, old in 2 & 4, as well as swapping them around).

As mentioned earlier, I'm a bit tech savvy, but really not too confident in what I'm doing, and don't really know what most of the BIOS things are.[/list]