Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Error Unsupported CPU Installed" on HP P6410y  (Read 4696 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
"Error Unsupported CPU Installed" on HP P6410y
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
Hi!
This is the 1rst time I have tried to upgrade a processor with a new one I have found online, so here is the story
I have a Hp Pavilion p6310y system model AY747AAR-ABA Bios:5.16  With a AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4CPUs) 2.8gHz 10240mb ram. Windows 7 64-bit
I have purchased this : Original AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad-Core (HDZ965FBK4DGM) Processor CPU from ebay.
Once received I carefully switched the processors and once the pc turned on I got the "Error Unsupported CPU Installed. PC will power off"
So I don't get why it would not be compatible if its along with the compatible cpu upgrades on the official list : Supports the following processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb) https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01959720

Any help? Did I miss a step?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: "Error Unsupported CPU Installed" on HP P6410y
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
You might need to be running a specific BIOS version to support that CPU. Additionally HP sometimes has 2 or 3 different motherboards for the same product line, so you may want to verify that that specific motherboard you have and Rev is supported for this CPU. *Most issues like this are resolved through a BIOS flash which adds the microcode for the better CPUs.

If you need to flash your BIOS you will need to put the original CPU back in. Flash it forward and then upgrade.

Last time I needed a BIOS flash for a HP it was a board manufactured by ASUS and then I have to track down that board through ASUS to find a BIOS flash for it as for HP didnt have the BIOS flash. HP has a bunch of different companies that they buy boards from. If your lucky its a ASUS or other board that will have a good brand with support to back it.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
    Everything checks out about the board with your bios supporting the CPU. Have you tried re setting the cmos with the jumper as shown here.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6300-desktop-pc-series/4079858/model/4120041/document/c01925562

If it still doesn't work then it's very odd.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
    From what I can find by looking into the motherboard's more specific details, the Max TDP of the CPU is 95W. The Phenom has a TDP of 125W. This could be the cause of the error.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
    Nice catch BC...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
    From here at this link I found the info that I shared as quoted:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Processor-upgrade-compatability-with-motherboard/td-p/6011217

The Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet) motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    AMD Athlon X2 (Bt)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 up to 6000+ (W)
    AMD Phenom Triple-Core up to 8xxx (AM2+) (Toliman)
    AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9xxx series (AM2+) up to 9850 (Agena)

Additionally the statement of:

Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate BIOS updates, BUT not vice versa.

Looks like if you want to go with a Phenom you need the prior generation Phenom 9xxx series up to the 9850 and not the newer Phenom II series, but while HP has it listed as compatible, its a 125 watt TDP CPU which could roast the VRM's on a low cost motherboard. This Pegatron motherboard is not the best of quality. Its a low cost board that has limits.

I'd go back to the Athlon II x4 630 2.8Ghz and run that and see if you can get a refund or sell that Phenom II 965 CPU to someone else, as for that has a better benchmark than the prior generation 9xxx Phenoms.

If you want to run that Phenom II x4 965 your going to want a newer socket AM3 or AM3+ 125 watt TDP motherboard with the socket AM3+ being the better choice so that if you need to you can go with the even newer FX series AMD CPU's up to 8-cores. Be careful when buying a motherboard that this specific Phenom II x4 965 is listed as for I have some motherboards that are socket AM3 that max out at the Phenom II x4 945! (*Note: If you swap motherboards your going to run into issues with getting the OS that is paired with that systems main board over to a different main board. Microsoft has issues with these board replacements with license key activation for Windows. )

Here are the benchmarks:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+9850+Quad-Core

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+630

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Learning is the only way
      • www.maxartwurk.com
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:27 PM »
    By the way I have just noticed an error : the pc model is not HP P6410y. It is actually HP P6310y