Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How not all useof a torrentis bad.  (Read 1957 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How not all useof a torrentis bad.
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
A torrent is a form of file sharing.

Disclaimer. This is not a tutorial on how and why of torrents nor is in an attempt to justify the wrong use of torrents. My objective is to show a torrent is a variation of file sharing that can be very useful in some common  networking goals.

Here's a quote:
Moving a 1.5GB binary blob to countless servers is a non-trivial technical challenge. After exploring several solutions, Facebook came up with the idea of using BitTorrent, the popular peer-to-peer file sharing protocol. BitTorrent is very good at propagating large files over a large number of different servers.
Source:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-legal-uses-for-bittorrent-youd-be-surprised/

Now somebody might say that does not count only because  is used internally and that is not the same thing as using it over the internet.

Don't get me started.  :)

Salmon Trout

Re: How not all useof a torrentis bad.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:18:40 AM »
Games companies use the Torrent protocol to distribute game updates. NASA use it to distribute large data publicly including a 2.9 GB image of the earth from space. In 2010, the UK government released several large data sets showing how public money was being spent. To make these available, they offered them via BitTorrent. This allowed the government to save on bandwidth costs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:50:17 AM by Salmon Trout »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How not all useof a torrentis bad.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
Torrents have been given a negative stereotype. And as Salmon shared they are used for good. Only torrents I use are a part of games I play. Some of them I kill off the SEEDing so that I can get updates but others dont get updates off of me which protects my upload bandwidth from someone seeding off of my game installs update contents.

One product I dont care for is Pando Media Booster that many of the free online games use to distribute their game installs and updates among peers. I cripple or kill it after I get the game install content for a 25GB install game etc.