Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to update Win XP error 0x80072EFF  (Read 15325 times)

midsail

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    unable to update Win XP error 0x80072EFF
    « on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
    Hello everyone

I have been trying to Win XP and get an error 0x80072EFF. Search the web found some articles, but no luck. I can go to the MS website (microsoft.com) select update and recieve the error. I do not even get the DirectX option to click (select) on the top of the webpage.There r also some links in MS that I can not connect too. Surfing web is no problem.
    I am running Win Xp SP3. Any ideas would be great.

tkcas01

Re: unable to update Win XP error 0x80072EFF
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:02:42 PM »
    Looked high and low on how to solve this problem.  Saw many suggestions but nothing worked.  I installed and ran Hitman Pro and it did find some issues MalwareBytes did not, but it could not clean the RootKit issue.

I finally stumbled upon ComboFix and it did the trick...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

0x80072EFF

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
    I'm on a mission :) because I have so many times seen advice to install reg-cleaners, fix-it tools and scan for malware.
    A malware scan is a good idea to start with.

The general fix for this problem is to download the standalone "Internet Explorer 8" Setup from Microsoft manually using a modern day OS(with up2date certificates and crypto) and Computer and put it onto the hopefully virtualized XP, install it and most likely you can again run windows update.

Basically it's a certificate error, the frame where the error occures is https while the Windows-Update start page isnt.

If the error perists it is also good to downgrade the IExplorer security settings for activeX modules because the WindowsUpdate is ActiveX. When you are done reset the degradation and keep the wandering security risk off the internet forever.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
    He hasn't been back in 8 Years,,,
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "