Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Don't You Think It Gets Tired of Seeking Approval?  (Read 8741 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Don't You Think It Gets Tired of Seeking Approval?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
Advertising helps pay for the program.  :)
Otherwise some, not just a few, developers introduce a PUP (potentially unwanted program) into your computer. I prefer advertising rather that PUPs.  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
BC, normally I have great respect for your insight, but I think you need to think that over. Your statement needs to be qualified. You ought to say
'having, but never used bi torrent is not harmful.' However, once it has been used, and if not used carefully, there is the slight risk  risk of a malicious  bit of data getting into the system.

qBittorrent, and most torrent clients in general, are no more harmful to have installed, or to use, than a browser.

It's when you misuse them that you cause problems. if Bittorrent clients present a "risk of infection" just being installed, then so do browsers. But nobody ever makes a fuss about that. In both cases the risk lies in downloading illegitimate or pirated files. Ironically, when it comes to that, downloading via browsers pretty much guarantee an infection, but infected torrents are actually more sparse than many would have you believe. (Except if you are dumb enough to torrent AV software, which is 99.9% of the time infected)

This brings up the possibility of a two-fold attack. I do not know what the right buzz-word is, but a bit of malware comes in and starts your torrent program in the background and the torrent then contains a payload much more malevolent.  To my knowledge that has not been reported. 

It's not been reported because it simply doesn't happen. Different torrent clients work differently so it's not likely to be able to launch the resulting content on it's own. Another issue with that theory being that Torrent clients typically require user input when opening a torrent or magnet link before proceeding, at which point it is on the user if they say "OK" to "super malicious unknown file with major infections.torrent", and then later when the malware asks them to launch the malicious files they downloaded for them. I'd say it's possible for such programs to simply roll in their own simple torrent client, similar to how malware now rolls in cryptocurrency miners, but that's a lot of work for something that can be downloaded much more easily via http, which is how most trojan downloaders do it. And even in the cases where it might use a torrent downloader for it's payload, that isn't any different than if it uses HTTP; it doesn't mean clients like qbittorrent are malicious or present a risk of infection anymore than a web browser does. You cannot really speak of "potentials" in a vacuum to come to a conclusion about specific software, particularly when using fabricated theoretical uses.

A quick search show that same think just having it on your PC is a potent ion problem.
Here is a key phrase that gets a lot of hits:
  Will a torrent harm me?

And Plenty of People think the world is flat or that the governments are ruled by lizard people. If your point is that there are ignorant people out there trying to inform themselves, then I agree, but I'm not sure how it relates here.

There are probably a lot of people who ask "Can Carrots kill me" but it neither suggests a risk that carrots will rise up and overthrow humanity nor that carrots possess any significant danger to health when ingested. It suggests some people want to learn the answer.

(The answer, I expect, is that only if you eat enough that the Vitamin A becomes a toxic dose, which is probably hundreds of carrots)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
https://www.livescience.com/35430-seven-good-foods-you-can-overdose-on-110201.html
Carrots are full of vitamins, minerals and fibers that are good for your health. But eating too many carrots can bring in too much beta-carotene the molecule responsible for carrots' bright orange hue and a precursor of vitamin A. This can lead to excess blood carotene which can discolor the skin.
Known as carotenemia, the condition occurs because carotene is a fat-soluble molecule. Excessive quantities of it tend to accumulate in the outermost layer of skin, resulting in yellow- or orange-pigmented skin, particularly in the palms, soles, knees and nasal area.
Although carotenemia occurs mostly in infants when they are fed too much pureed carrot baby food, it can occur in adults as well. In a case report published in The Journal of Dermatology in 2006, a 66-year-old woman's skin turned yellow-orange after she took too many carotene oral supplements. One cup of raw chopped carrots has about 15 mg of carotene, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Database, so you'd need to eat half a cup of chopped carrots every day for months, in order to turn to her shade of yellow.
I will cut down on my carrot intake.  :P

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
Because of the multi-connection nature of torrents (which makes 'em so dang efficient), of course there's zero accountability if something goes wrong.

That presumes, of course, you're using torrenting programs to spread bad stuff - they are an effective way of sharing large files among groups of, say, co-workers, as well.

In general, I have found that - due to the nature of hashing and hosting - torrents that are infected are routinely flagged and marked as such. Now, of course, that means someone had to get infected and cry foul, so there is still risk...  I also use torrents because it's easier and faster than ripping my vinyl to iTunes (So come at me, RIAA!), and while it's possible that MP3 files are false flags, it's beyond unlikely.

OK. Way off topic.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Because of the multi-connection nature of torrents (which makes 'em so dang efficient), of course there's zero accountability if something goes wrong.
OK. Way off topic.
Yes, it is.
Sometime tomorrow I will start a new thread about the future and advantages of a 'torrent' protocol for doing very good things. Torrents are not always bad, in fact, the future of the Internet is with torrent-like infrastructure. I will post  in the Other area  tomorrow.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Carrots can't kill you.

Obama wasn't a lizard person.

BUT... Tomatoes will f#@k you up.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Coco423

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
I didn't mean to get this way off topic with that post - I meant to help the topic starter.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
Too late now. We're all doomed.

Coco423

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
What do you mean by that?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Malware.

Carrots.

Killer tomatoes.

It's as bleak as I've ever seen it.

Coco423

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Can we please at least getsomewhat back on topic?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
Can we please at least getsomewhat back on topic?

There isn't really a topic left. Their original concerns were resolved.  :)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Coco423

Intermediate

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
Oh. Well, might as well join in. I dont like torrents for certain things. I am very cautios with even normal files. Progtams and APKs, I avoid, as they might have malicious items in them, may be cracked, and I suggest you avoid programs and APKs through torrents too.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »
There isn't really a topic left. Their original concerns were resolved.  :)
Happy to start something anew.

Dear Internet,

What is the deal with hot dogs? They come ten in a pack, and buns come eight to a pack! I mean, come on!

Love,
the OP

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: What is the deal with hot dogs?
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 11:26:11 PM »
I will try to change the topic.
If it works, we shall talk about Hot Dogs and Buns.   ;D