Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random restart every few days - Windows 10  (Read 8354 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Random restart every few days - Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »
The only parts on the motherboard easy to replace are:
 RAM
 CPU
 Heat Sink and fan

Question:
When you say 'restart', do you mean
 1. A power off ant the restart?
 2. Or the power was off and it starts by itself?

Cloby

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
    "is it possible that you have determined that's the only thing that could still be causing the problem?"
    The only things it could be are:
    • Motherboard
    • CPU
    • GPU
    Not sure how likely it is to be the last 2. I was pretty confident that it was the PSU to begin with, clearly it wasn't.

"When you say 'restart', do you mean"
    It's like a normal restart, just without any blue "restarting" screen or any warning at all. Just power off and on again in an instant.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 12:56:52 AM »
    "When you say 'restart', do you mean"
    It's like a normal restart, just without any blue "restarting" screen or any warning at all. Just power off and on again in an instant.
    Does it return to where you were? Does it close the current program?
    How long does it last?   Less than 8 seconds?  If so,  it was not a restart. It takes the firmware some 20 plus seconds to find the boot device and load the Windows boot loader. Then Windows takes some more time. And there will be an entry in the event log.
    You may have a CPU or even a monitor that has hiccups.
    No, I did not make that up. It is documented elsewhere; Here is only of many:
    http://spywarehammer.com/general-computer-issues/computer-%27hiccuping%27/
    The computer sort of freezes/hiccups, it is really hard to explain. What happens is for a very short time, like 1/2 second the mouse freezes, and audio and video freeze but dont skip, and resumes at where it first 'hiccuped'. This can happen infrequently maybe once a minute to sometimes constantly, 1/2 sec apart from one another in an extreme case which again, seems random. Sometimes i go hours without anything at all
    Not so rare. My system behaves in a similar way but perhaps  not as often, as yours seems to be a bit irritating to you. I should first say that overclocking would be a suspect...it's never really a good idea, even the manufacturer will caution against it.
    Another...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291605-28-computer-skipping-hiccups
    and now sometimes, the mouse freezes up in the same manner. This little hiccuping that occurs just makes it impossible to listen to audio, play movies, and for most games it slows the computer down a lot. I replaced my Radeon 5770 with a crappy 8500 GT and it still happened im starting to think its not my video rather than something else maybe a CPU related problem or such.(It isnt a overheating problem all my components are ...
    Another is when some kind of 'glitch' gets into the system and disturbs something. This can cause a monitor to go black and then come back on. I think it is a Windows behavior when there is an apparent change in the hardware. I do not really know. But it has been widely reported for years. An old post:
    https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/my-computer-is-getting-hiccups-95360/
    My computer is getting hiccups
    by scorpsteals / March 28, 2005 2:21 PM PST
    Somebody please help. I am running Windows XP SP1 and my computer kinds of gets still for half a second every 4-6 seconds. So whenever I am typing it misses a character or two every 4-6 seconds. When I am moving my mouse it gets stuck at a position for a second and then gets back to normal. This keeps on repeating.
    Any directions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    It would seem the term 'hiccup' is used to describe a wide range of behaviors where the system stops and then continues. Duration and frequency vary. It has been reported in Windows 10 some times.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74157-Windows-10-short-hiccups-freezes
    I have an issue since upgrading to Windows 10, the display and sound will hiccup for a split second. It is barely noticeable sometimes and might be even less than a second. This did never happen when I ran Windows 8/8.1. It happens when I listen to music, watching a video and gaming. I think it also happens when I browse the internet, but it is hard to notice. It is very noticeable when I'm watching a video or playing a gaming. It usually takes at least 1 hour before an other "hiccup" occurs. It varies a lot, though. There are no sudden CPU or HDD spikes. Everything is at normal. I tried the performance troubleshooter and nothing was found. All my drivers are also up-to-date. I have also installed all chipset drivers and LAN drivers for my motherboard from the ASUS website. The errors existed both before and after the installation of the drivers. My installation of Windows 10 is also a clean install, so I did format my SSD. Anyone else here have the same experience or have an idea what I can do? Other than to rollback to Windows 8, but it seems related to some driver to me.

Here is what I would do if it were me. I would make a backup of what is important to me. Or else get another hard drive to test.  Next I would do a fujll install of the system for a clean drive. Everything. The install only a few programs I know to be trustworthy. If hat makes a difference, then it was due to some kind of error  is drivers and/or software.
    My experience, and that of others, shows that software errors are much harder to isolate  compared to outright t hardware bugs. Or so it seems.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Here is a video: (Skip the ads.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcAlLBLKFLs
    DEE Z
    Published on Feb 19, 2016
    Windows 10 Hangout or Freeze issues.
    How to Fix Windows 10  Stuck While using.
    This video will help you for fix this problem, not sure for all user.
    Option is adjusting Power plan set-up.

1.Access Power option
    2.choose what the power button does
    3.uncheck list of shut-down settings

All rights to this video is owned DEEZ
    He claims it is a bug in the power settings options in Windows.

Cloby

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »
      Imagine a full restart, with no "restarting" screen, no warnings, no BSOD and make it happen randomly. That's the issue I have.

It's not a "hiccup" as it doesn't recover. When the computer freezes, it requires me to manually turn off and turn on the computer again.

As for new hard drive / fresh install, I've already tried that. No luck.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:53 AM »
      Cloby,
      Sorry to hear that. You are at the point where you either try another power supply or get a new motherboard.

Did you nay you have some way to test the power supplies?
      Search for:
      test a power supply under load

I did not find a good, clear method.

The following is the best I can offer
      Basically, you use some power resistors to load down the different lines coming from the supply. The supply should 'fold over' when you do 120% of the rating.
      To do this, you will need a  DC ammeter and a voltmeter and and two  adjustable five  ohm rheostats++ that can handle 200 watts short term.
      start at 400 watts and then ramp up until the PSU does a 'crow bar' lock up. If the PSU is inside of its rating,then you must  have a motherboard s forcing an overload. Something like a CPU, GPU or other component failure sucks current and makes the PSU quit.

++ hard to find items...
       - but you can DIY with some nichrome wire used in an old electric heater.
      At least one vendor on eBay sells this  wire cheap.

But at this point I think it is the motherboard.  :'(

Cloby

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
        I already purchased a new PSU, it didn't solve the issue.

I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. Guess I'll buy a new one and hope for the best. Thanks anyhow.

Cloby

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
          UPDATE:

Is was the GPU.  Thanks for all your help anyway.